cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The New EOS R6 MkII is a BEAST!

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

I got this body about 10 days ago, but only had a chance to take my first photos with it today.  As is my want, I went to the local zoo and to give it a good workout I connected it to the awesome RF 100-500L IS USM.

Here are some results from that, all hand-held, available light, minimal PP, but seriously downsized, of course.

This Gouldian Finch is an Aussie bird from the Northern Territory.  It is TINY and, like most small birds, is very active, so getting a shot of it was challenging, but I got 3 out of 4 to work.  Points for the focus and tracking!

These birds are known for their beautiful adult plumage, turning a mix of reds, greens and yellows. The chests of the male birds are bright purple and the females a paler mauve, allowing them to be sexed easily.

Gouldian finches are near threatened in the wild due to habitat loss in the northern territories of Australia and poaching for the illegal pet trade. These grass-eating birds are particularly vulnerable to seed shortages as a result of fires and grazing in the savanna woodland areas they inhabit.

500mm, f/8, 1/800sec, ISO-5000500mm, f/8, 1/800sec, ISO-5000500mm, f/7.1, 1/400sec, ISO-6400500mm, f/7.1, 1/400sec, ISO-6400

An Australian Lace Monitor basks in the sun.

Lace monitors are the second largest monitor lizard in Australia and are among the largest lizards in the world.  They are related to the massive Komodo Dragon from Indonesia which can be up to 3m (10ft) long.  Lace Monitors average 1.5m in length, and they can grow up to 2m. The length of their tail is used for balance when climbing, as a whip for defence, for swimming, and for posturing to rival lace monitors!

Lace monitors have a forked tongue like snakes - this is an adaptation to further enhance their highly developed combined senses of smell and taste. As they flick their tongue in and out, it collects molecules that are transferred to the Jacobson’s organ via two little pits in the roof of their mouth. This sense is so good, they can tell the difference between prey items from a long distance and in which direction they lie, whether another lace monitor in the area is male or female, and whether it is a resident or non-resident to the area. Imagine being able to know all that with your tongue!

As well as a great sense of smell and taste, they have excellent vision and acute hearing.

200mm, f/5, 1/200sec, ISO-400200mm, f/5, 1/200sec, ISO-400

It would be impossible for me to visit the zoo without a few shots of my favourite NZ bird, the fabulous Kea. The cheeky, inquisitive nature of the world's only mountain parrot is well-known throughout New Zealand.

Highly intelligent and social, having a level of intelligence equivalent to a primate.  They learn from their parents and from experience and mate for life. They love the challenge of taking things apart, which can be a problem if they take a liking to your car or motorbike!  They can undo bolts and screws, remove rubber from wipers and seals, undo tire pressure caps and deflate them.

To keep their minds and bodies stimulated, the keepers present their food in unusual ways, such as hidden underground, in a box of stones and leaves or dangling from a branch.

324mm, f/5.6, 1/400sec, ISO-1000324mm, f/5.6, 1/400sec, ISO-1000400mm, f/6.3, 1/400sec, ISO-2000400mm, f/6.3, 1/400sec, ISO-2000500mm, f/7.1, 1/400sec, ISO-6400500mm, f/7.1, 1/400sec, ISO-6400

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
12 REPLIES 12

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@Trevor,

Exceptional photos as always.  👍

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thank you, Rick.  While I always maintain that better gear does not make one a better photographer, it helps in specific situations like wildlife, portraiture or macro work.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

Great shots, Trevor, as always. Other than testing, I haven't used the RF 100-500L on the R6 mark II extensively. But have processed my wife's shots with the RF 100-400 as you've seen. Yes, the R62 is a beast. We both have tremors so keeping the shutter speed up to help curb camera shake is essential and the way this camera handles higher ISO combined with its IBIS is just hard to beat in our situation. There was a slight learning curve from the R6 to the mark II, as you may have noticed, but not too bad. I really like Raw Burst and the pre-shooting that you can enable with it.

Thanks for the samples!

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

I found the interfaces fairly similar for how I shoot, and the only quirk - as mentioned - was the shift of the location of the on/off switch.  Mind you, I like the separation of the video and stills modes!

cheers, TREVOR

The main thing I had to do some research on was the removal of Face+tracking from the AF point selection. Mainly because I have AF point selection bound to my lens control ring on the R5 and 6. After doing some research, it seems they took that option out of AF point selection as an actual standalone selection and renamed it to "Whole area tracking servo AF" and made it a toggle on all of the options, when using the Q button, and added a menu for it in the AF 1 menu. No big deal, I just found it more convenient as an AF point selection. I suspect they will do the same in the R5 mark II. My wife has complained about a few issues after going from the R6 to the mark II, which I don't exactly recall, but I must have taken care of them, LOL! Brother, she is "old timey". It took me years to get her to pick up a digital after she quit shooting film, so I do the research and set them up for her.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

I have heard several people expressing they are challenged by some of the new R-series tech.  For me personally, it is just one of those things one has to get used to, but I recognize that as we age it is harder to adapt.  I used to work for a communications company marketing cell phone tech, but I am not a fan of a lot of the new features, so I use my phone at a fairly conservative level.

cheers, TREVOR

JoeySnaps
Enthusiast

Red Kite R6mkII 100-500Red Kite R6mkII 100-500

R6mkII, various lenses, speedlites. Also legacy Canons going back to T90 and even A1.

I have a Canon A-1, but it's a keepsake now.  The subject is amazingly clear relative to the other birds and background.  Very impressed with all the new R-series FF bodies.

cheers, TREVOR

JoeySnaps
Enthusiast

I hope it's okay to add my two-penn'orth. I've never tried birds in flight before but the animal eye detect autofocus of the R6mkII and the flexibility of the 100-500mm lens emboldened me to try it. Pleased with results.

R6mkII, various lenses, speedlites. Also legacy Canons going back to T90 and even A1.
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements