cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Testing the Sigma 150-600 Contemporary with the Canon EOS R5.

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

I had been observing a lot of chatter about the performance of 3rd party lenses with the new RF mount.  In particular the comments that the very popular Sigma 150-600c has focusing issues on the RF mount. Sigma went to the effort of publishing a video to the effect that their lenses do work perfectly, demonstrating with the FF R6 bodies:
How to use Sigma lenses seamlessly on Canon RF via the EF-EOS R adaptor (youtube.com)
However, as it turned out it seems to be an issue specific to the R7, which has an APS-C body and crammed 32MP into that smaller sensor and that has implications in many areas, given the sensor is used for focusing.  After much back and forth, photographer Duade Paton get a letter from Canon Japan that admitted there is issue was with the R7's focusing system, combined with higher shutter speed.  You can see that video:
CANON RESPOND, THEIR ADMISSION SURPRISED ME! (youtube.com)  (see section on Canon's response)

So, I decided to take my FF R5 (45MP FF) combination to a gannet colony close to where I live.   Without doubt, the lens, used with the Canon basic EF-RF adapter, was not quite as fast as the native RF 100-500L lens, which is an amazing optic and has dual Nano-USM motors.  However. it performed very acceptably - according to my statistics I got about 73% with a lock on the Sigma, and 84% lock with the RF 100-500 lens - the keeper rates are as much a function of the speed of these birds rocketing along and photographer error, so it was pretty good at getting the shots. 

So, here are a few of images of my experience.

347mm, f/10, 1/400sec, ISO-500347mm, f/10, 1/400sec, ISO-500421mm, f/8, 1/500sec, ISO-500421mm, f/8, 1/500sec, ISO-500421mm, f/8, 1/640sec, ISO-1250421mm, f/8, 1/640sec, ISO-1250150mm, f/7.1, 1/160sec, ISO-100150mm, f/7.1, 1/160sec, ISO-100

The bottom line is that the lens is capable of generating acceptable results for those who have this lens and are not updating to the RF native tele lenses yet.  

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
13 REPLIES 13

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

For some awesome photos with the Sigma 60-600 on Canon gear, see the following You Tube video showing images in the Brazilian Pantanal: Pantanal Pix 

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

I did some major purging of equipment and have sold the 2.0x extender and have the 1.4x unit up for sale as well.  At the moment I still have the 70-200 f/4 IS USM MkII (which I shall keep), the 100-400 IS USM MkII, the Sigma 150-600c and 60-600s EF lenses, but really only have retained the 5DsR body from my rather large menagerie of DSLRs.
I am moving fully into the MILC base, so 1x R5, 2xR6 and 1x R6MkII. Optics Rf 100-500, 24-105 f/4, 24-240STM and plan to get the RF 14-35 IS USM, which will give me all the range I need.  I prefer to use the EF 70-200 f/4 IS USM MkII over the RF unit, as it is a great optic and does not extend with zooming, further protecting the sensor from dust.

cheers, TREVOR

rogerarc
Apprentice

Thank for your post. Is it the sport or the contemporary version?

Hi Roger:
Thank you for your like and interest.  It is actually the Contemporary, I have sold that to get the 200-800, but retain the fabulous Sigma 60-600 Sport, from which there are example images posted in this forum.   I have actually updated the original text now, the content of which may be of interest.

Is there one of the Sigma150-600 models you have a particular interest in?

cheers, TREVOR

click here to view the gallery
Announcements