Canon Community Canon Community

Super Contributor

Re: Sunrise and Sunsets.

thanks for the update. Agreed, not too many are going to remember those details 2 mo later....unless you write everything down in a notebook, and who does that anymore? Still think you should enter in a photo contest....the shot is mesmerizing
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

This one is a sunset taken on the island open sanctuary of Tiri Tiri Matangi.  It is a sanctuary for some of NZ and the world's rarest flora and fauna.  For example we have Takahe of which there are perhaps only 250 left,.  Once converted to farmland, volunteers planted over 250,000 native trees and shrubs to restore the island to its natural state.   Here is a link to information on the sanctuary:

Link to the TiriTiri Supporters' Page

While a sanctuary, it is open for visitors who need to follow strict protocols to avoid bringing on pests - like rats or mice or even foreign seeds.   I am one of the supporters and volunteers who support the sanctuary and can stay at a bunkhouse on the island along with scientists and academics studying the behaviour of native wildlife and monitoring recovery programs. 

This photo was taken looking from the visitors' centre back towards the mainland.

NZ Auckland TiriTir Matangi Sunset.jpg

Details: taken hand-held with EOS M, EF-M 10-22mm at 22mm, f13, 1/80sec, ISO 200

"All the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy
Super Contributor

thats even fun to say Tiri Tiri Mantigi.  Very beautiful and definitely worth saving and restoring.

I hope the population  gets stronger for the birds.

From what I understand, many sea birds are dying from ingesting plastic.  I try NOT to buy plastic or use styrofoam.  Its tough to avoid in some cases, but many can ve avoided.

Your photos are lovely, keep sharing and educating us all.

nice place to stay in the bunkhouse!