cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shooting the Moon with the RF 200-800

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Since it's summer here in NZ, it's light until late, but the moon was still well up in the sky when the sun dipped below the horizon.  The sky was still blue, which gave me a lot less contrast to deal with in capturing the moon.

I used the RF 200-800 with the R5 in 1.6x crop mode, giving a equivalent FoV of 1280mm.  There is just a hint of heat haze in the sky - locally we had temps of over 32degC (91degF).

Here is the result: hand-held.
R5,  RF 200-800@1280mm FoV, f/9, 1/1250sec, ISO-1600R5, RF 200-800@1280mm FoV, f/9, 1/1250sec, ISO-1600

I quite like the more textured result of shooting with the moon half full.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
4 REPLIES 4

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Very nice photo. Here in the SE US, the moon for the last few days has been a crescent shape, lying on its back. Not familiar with the proper terms. It is said when the moon will hold water, it's gonna rain.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

Hi John:
Well, we could do with a bit of rain right now - we are heading into drought territory here down under.   We just had major scrub fires close to our second-largest city and a few people lost their homes.  The heat is a challenge because the heat haze lingers on, even later in the evening and it impacted my shot - which was just a casual effort, but fun to see how much reach I could get with the camera + lens combo.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

JFG
Enthusiast

Nice shot, Trevor.   As always, your pictures are swell !

Cheers,
Joe
Ancora Imparo

"A good photograph is knowing where to stand."
― Ansel Adams

"There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept."
–- Ansel Adams

"You don’t take a photograph, you make it."
--- Ansel Adams

Thank you very much!

cheers, TREVOR

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements