cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your Astrophotography Photos

lindam
Administrator
Administrator

Are you a fan of astrophotography? Post your favorite photo you've taken and share the story behind it. Be sure to include the Canon gear you used.

Astrophotography

91 REPLIES 91

@CajunSteph wrote:
Did you crop this image of the Moon? or did it really take up the whole frame like this? Beautiful image, thanks for sharing !!! 🙂 🙂 🙂

That image of the moon was cropped, which does not improve resolution.  Here's the original of the photo taken just before, without any processing, not even for White Balance.

CT7D2016_10_150025.jpg'

Notice how the camera tries to capture the Moon as a shade of grey.  WB balance in the camera had been set to Auto.  The image was captured as a RAW file, CR2 

The Moon is in direct sunlight.  Howver, the sunlight that reaches the Earth's surface gets filtered by the Earth's atmosphere.  This image does not show the Moon's true color because of the camera's filtering.

Notice how I didn't push the exposure much.  The shot looks a little underexposed, which it is.  It is easy to saturate the shot.  Taking a photo of the Moon's craters and details is akin to taking a photo of the dust on a lit light bulb.  It is all too easy to get a big bright blob.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Yes, well explained, thank you for your generous consideration. 🙂 I am mainly interested in researching zoom powers in order to take images of what looks like someone holding the Moon on their shoulders, in their hands or bouncing it like a ball. lol I only have a 55-250mm and it's just not quite long enough. 😞 Thanks again.

@CajunSteph wrote:
Yes, well explained, thank you for your generous consideration. 🙂 I am mainly interested in researching zoom powers in order to take images of what looks like someone holding the Moon on their shoulders, in their hands or bouncing it like a ball. lol I only have a 55-250mm and it's just not quite long enough. 😞 Thanks again.

This could be estimated fairly accurately by calculating the AOV, Angle-Of-View, of the Moon against that of your subject with their hands spread.  I have never done it before, BTW

The night sky is basically a half circle, 180 degrees.  I cannot recall how many degrees of the sky that the Moon occupies, but let's say that it is 0.5 degrees.  If you go to an online Canon vendor, you will see a specification listing for Angle-Of-View for every Canon lens. 

Let's say that a lens gives you 40 degress of AOV.  This means that you could fit 80 Moons side by side across your image.  I've been tweaking the various Moon photos I took last night.  The one posted earler was the first one I processed. 

IMG_6802.jpg

I took some shots with filters, without filters, and different exposures and focal lengths.  The above was shot with the same lens and settings, but with a a different camera, 6D, and no CPL filter.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Of course your right, Waddizzle 🙂 Thanks for the insight. 🙂 I'm sure I'll be able to figure it out now !!!
Steph

Love this Trestle Moon !!! 🙂 🙂 🙂

rgmoore that is a way cool shot.  Smiley Wink

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Twilightscapes
Contributor

Stellar Sentries

Unique Night Time Photography | Twilightscapes.com

Very nice shot? Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Happy New Year.  

This is the lower region of Orion (on it's side) ... you can see the three stars of Orion's "belt" on the left side of the frame.  

On the right side of the frame is the Orion Nebula and Running Man Nebula.

On the left is the Horsehead Nebual and the Flame Nebula

In the lower left corner is Messier 78.

This is an HDR image I shot a while ago and just got around to reprocessing.  

This was shot using a Canon 60Da with EF 135mm f/2L USM lens.  The camera was mounted on a tracking head attached to a photo tripod to allow for long exposures without creating star trails.

I took four sets:

9 x 120 sec exposures at f/2

9 x 60 sec exposures at f/2

9 x 14 sec exposures at f2

9 x 3 sec exposures at f/2

Each exposure set is stacked and integrated seperately to create one combined exposure from the set.  Those four exposuresare then merged to create the HDR result.

Orion HDR (1200 x 800).jpeg

Kind Regards,

Tim

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

ama168
Apprentice

The Orion Nebula taken with a Canon 5D MK II and an

Orion ED80T CF Triplet Apochromatic Refractor 
30 30 second exposures at 1600 ISO

Orion Nebula

Announcements