cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Photo Challenge: What is Christmas like where you live?

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

The Canon Forum and staff members come from a diverse range of environments.  I thought it would be interesting if we could each offer one or more images showing what the Holiday Season is like and maybe offer some greetings to our fellow members.  SO PLEASE DO SUBMIT A PHOTO!

I'll start the ball rolling with one from New Zealand.  Down here it is heading for the longest day, so while we do display lights, have Santa Clause etc. the days are long and sunny, and the presents are likely to be focused on summer: bicycles, beach stuff, sun glasses etc.  And of course the light is different too.

Happy Xmas 2019a.jpg

This image, taken in Auckland shows St Heliers beach (crowded) with the 700 Y.O. volcano Rangitoto in the background.

All the best for a safe, healthy and happy holiday season, wherever and however you celebrate it!

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
7 REPLIES 7

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

Tronhard,

I will happily trade weather with you for December if you don't mind!  The upper midwestern part of the U.S. wasn't a pleasant place to be Sunday with winter weather moving through. Thanks for starting this thread.

Our little rural village kicked off the Christmas season late Sunday afternoon with a Christmas parade.  At parade time, the temperature was about 1C with a mixture of drizzle and snow and quite windy.  I was multitasking that afternoon as a member of the sponsoring organization (Kiwanis Club) so in addition to helping keep things on track during the parade and selecting the winning entries in multiple categories,  I was also trying to capture a few photographs.  With all of the other stuff going on I left my pack of chemical hand warmers at home so my fingers were numb by early in the parade.  Conditions for photography were absolutely miserable with dark conditions combined with swirling mist and snow and I am glad I was using a proper moisture resistant 1DX 2 and 70-200 2.8 which is more weather tolerant than me.

BUT... the kids (and adults) were having a great time so it was all very worthwhile.  Post parade, a very hot shower followed by the proper blend of eggnog, orange juice, and the most important ingredient: Kentucky Bourbon,  thawed me out 🙂

Rodger

AQ9I4343.JPG

AQ9I4387.JPG

AQ9I4507.JPG

AQ9I4529.JPG

AQ9I4525.JPG

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Roger thank you for responding to the thread.  I was beginning to lose hope, but it's early in Decemeber and you folks are just getting over Thanksgiving and Black Friday!

I must say you did yourself proud with the photos:

1.  It's obviousl the kids had a good time from their demeanours

2.  The fireman in just a shirt and kilt is a BRAVE man under the conditions your decribe.  I hope he had thermals and a hot toddie...

3.  Both young women look chilled, but the girl on the white horse, dressed as a bear, looks absolutely miserable

4.  Well dressed elf, obviously anticipated the conditions up at the North Pole!

5.  And Santa, as always, has kept his cool!!!

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thank you for your comments Tronhard and that fireman had to be freezing by the end of the parade.  I have been out in -12C weather with sun and no wind and it is pleasant but the damp chill Sunday made it miserable.

Christmas season is just starting in the U.S. so maybe more photos will show up.  I am waiting for a decent day to go buy a tree, I have grown tired of artificial and plan to use the old fashioned bubble lights on it that I bought on ebay a few years ago.  The weather is much nicer here by midweek and the sun is even supposed to show up again 🙂

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

We have the opposite in temperatures but the same issue with humidity.  I find that humid cold weather really gets into one's bones, and in heat it slays me.  I have worked in -52DegC in Canada (including wind chill) and it was so cold that there was no humidity, it was surprisingly much better then around 0DegC and humid.   I Australia I worked in 43DegC in the desert (again very dry) but 20DegC and humid stops me in my tracks.

Another Christmas e-Card:  The blooms are of the wonderful native Pohutukawa Tree, which blooms at this time of year and is called the NZ Christmas Tree as it colours the landscape red and green, especially along the waterfronts of the cities

Christmas 2020 Greetings.jpg

Pohutukawas.jpg

cheers, TREVOR

Great shots.  This shot is a repeat.  It is an HDR shot from a few years ago.  This is the low-res version of it.

EF8298DC-5809-46F4-B734-5B952C96CC81.jpeg

This composite was kind of tricky to assemble because different areas of the frame had widely varying dynamic range and color temperatures.  The street in the background is going downhill, right to left.  This image was built using masks from 5 shots ranging from -3 Ev to +1 Ev.

[EDIT] - It was 10 degree F and pretty windy when I took this series of shots.  Landscape tripod pulled me through it.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Absolutely gorgeous!   You did an awesome job on this one.

cheers, TREVOR

The daft things we do at Christmas...  This is a snapshot from about Christmas 2002 (taken with the venerable Canon Powershot G1).   It's amazing what a trip to the $2 Shop can do to people's inhibitions...

IMG_0952 a.jpg

cheers, TREVOR

Announcements