cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long exposure first attempt

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

I've been trying:1 to learn long exposure black and white. This is my first attempt..

These were shot with a 50mm prime at f/10and ISO of 100. Mirror lockup with a 2 second time delay, although I shot these remotely with a Galaxy tab A7 tablet, so I guess I didn't really need a time delay. 1:1 aspect ratio.and a 10stop ND filter.

The first was a 5 second shutter speed. The wind was blowing about 20mph, so there's a lot of movement in the tree branches.I shot in RAW and converted them to jpg for web display purposes.

img_left tutn_0747.JPG

With the second one, I increased the shutter speed to 10 seconds. The clouds have disappeared for the most part, and there's a lot more movement in the tree branches. Too overexposed, I think. I hope to get better over time.

img_left tutn_0748.JPG.

Steve Thomas

7 REPLIES 7

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

I can see where my first image might have worked if I had lowered the aperture or kicked the ISO up to 200 or so.

I have a lot to learn.

Steve Thomas

ccanada
Community Manager
Community Manager

I appreciate your process here can't wait to see what develops (pun intended). Since you are using an ND filter, have you considered intentionally placing a moving subject (like moving water) in your foreground?

Hi Chris,

Thanks.

Not yet. That's coming though. Right now, I'm trying to concentrate on moving clouds.

Steve Thomas

ccanada
Community Manager
Community Manager

You inspired me to buy a ND filter to experiment too! It should be here tomorrow 🙂

Chris,

Let me know how it goes.

Steve

ccanada
Community Manager
Community Manager

I got my filter yesterday and conditions were perfect today!
IMG_2217.jpeg

Chris,

Wonderful shot!

Good job!

You did good with the texture in the rocks too.

Steve Thomas

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements