cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Life is a Zoo

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Well, after about 3 solid months of being in full lock-down we were given some freedoms recently.  Among those were the ability to visit museums and art galleries and to visit the zoo.  There were stipulations for the latter though: we have to be annual pass holders and we have to book a specific date and time at which to visit.

I have not had much chance to shoot wildlife recently, so I jumped at the chance to do so.  Sadly, when I managed to get a booking a couple of weeks ago, much of the zoo was shut off because of a backlog of renovations (for the zoo's centenary next year) requiring fast-tracking and thus limiting area to visit.

So, I found myself in the New Zealand native flora and fauna walk-through area.

The Kereru is NZ native pidgeon and is a very large and heavy bird.  They are the C-130 Herculese of the bird population and are usually found in pairs.  Their wings make a major low beating sound as they lumber into the air and they have a habit of using walking paths as their clear flight paths.  Several time in the bush I have felt the wind of their passing as they swoop along!

So here are a couple of shots from the locals!

Canon EOS 5D Mark IV • Sigma 60-600mm f/4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM | S @104mm • 1/125 • f/6.3 • ISO 1250

2021-11-14 10-36-40 - Kereru 01 LR copy.jpg

At this time of year (it's late spring here) the trees are full of fruit and berries and the birds (our dominant fauna) are out in force to gorge them selves.  They can hang upside down for long periods in an effort to get to the most succulent berries.

Canon EOS 5D Mark IV • Sigma 60-600mm f/4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM | S @233mm • 1/250 • f/6.3 • ISO 800

2021-11-14 10-37-41 - Kereru 03 LR copy.jpg

Of course, as I write this, we are learning of the new Omicron variant and everyone is wondering what the impact will be for us.  The government had just announced an opening of borders around Auckland City to allow us to travel for Christmas if we are fully vaccinated.  Kiwis could return to NZ without quarantine from Oz in mid-January, and from other 'safe' countries in mid-February, with overseas tourists from mid-March.  All that is now up in the air - rather like our Kereru! Smiley Wink

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
2 REPLIES 2

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Trevor,

Beautiful shots!

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thank you Rick! That Sigma is a hefty beast to carry around, but it sure is a lovely lens, with an amazing range.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements