cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

From My Porch

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

Today, a few of my favorite visitors of the fall migration stopped by my yard to feed on the insects in our trees and bushes. We live in a heavily wooded area of Jacksonville and for the past 15 years I've done my best to let our property revert back to native plants and trees. It's paid off by giving me a nice natural setting to live in and it attracts a large selection of flora and fauna. By city ordinance we do have to keep a certain area around our home mowed to 6", but that's ok because it has it's own merits.

These were all shot with an EOS R5 and RF 100-500mm f/4.5-7.1L IS USM. Most were under forest canopy but one was shot in an open mowed area and it was heavily overcast, so lighting was difficult. But I love this kind of light and its ambience. These birds were actively feeding and are very tough to catch sitting still, so you have to watch for a pattern and predict where they will be. If you've ever photographed warblers, you know what I mean.

These are Hooded Warblers and my first opportunity to photograph them, that's why I'm posting so many. I probably took 30 or more, LOL!

Hooded Warbler, male.Hooded Warbler, male.Hooded Warbler, male.Hooded Warbler, male.Hooded Warbler, male.Hooded Warbler, male.Hooded Warbler, male.Hooded Warbler, male.

This Common Yellowthroat is the opposite of the Hooded with its black mask.

Common Yellowthroat.Common Yellowthroat.

American Redstart, female. Flashy, but just not as striking as the male.

American Redstart, female.American Redstart, female.

American Redstart, male.

American Redstart, male.American Redstart, male.

Blue-headed Vireo. This is one of the three species of vireo that we see. This is the best view I could get of this bird as it stayed concealed in the foliage as it foraged for insects.Blue-headed Vireo.Blue-headed Vireo.

Newton

1 REPLY 1

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Thanks for sharing. We have a foldout chart of birds found in Tennessee. So, we have identified 18 species at the bird feeders. Favorite is the humming bird. We take photos outside the kitchen window.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG
click here to view the gallery
Announcements