cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disneyland with a 135mm

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

 The plan was to take the EOS C70 to our Disneyland vacation as I have always wanted to capture some of the very dark rides.  Was all set to go with the 0.71x adapter and EF 50mm f/1.2 L.  However, began thinking logistics and how cumbersome it would be.  Didn't want it to become a hassle or interview with the vacation.  So left that home and took the 5D IV again, but with both the 50mm and 135mm f/2 L.

First time I had a long lens at the parks and so glad I took it.  It was on the camera almost the entire time.  Exceptions were if I needed to capture something large and couldn't back up.  It worked out extremely well to capture characters; isolating them completely.

Aperture-wise, I kept it on f/2 the entire time, shutter at least 1/200s or higher and ISO anywhere from 100 to 6400.

As a side note, the first day in the park was camera-less and it was very enjoyable.  Left the camera back in the hotel I'd say easily for half the trip.   Though on occassion I did find myself scouting for certain scenes to capture later.

The Dr. Strange performance was outstanding; they really cast him well:

image.jpeg

Mary Poppings showed up one day to ride on the carousel.  It hadn't started yet and when she saw I had a camera in hand, she began to wave and pose:

Mary PoppinsMary Poppins

Princesses were candids as they interacted with my wife and son: 

ArielArielMulanMulan

One other item I made heavy use on this trip was the circular polarizer.  Came in extremely handy not only to get more lush greens and depper blue skies, but also to control glare in the Avenger jeep windshield or water:

Storybook LandStorybook LandAvenger's JeepAvenger's Jeep

Some others:

Rivers of AmericaRivers of America"it's a small world""it's a small world"Cars LandCars Land

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers
9 REPLIES 9

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Great photos, really nice Ricky!

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thank you, Rick!

--
Ricky

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Did someone say dark ride?

Pirates of the CaribbeanPirates of the CaribbeanRise of the ResistanceRise of the ResistanceRise of the ResistanceRise of the Resistance

I hope you did Rise of the Resistance! I hesitate to even call it a ride.

We didn't try Rise of the Resistance as that contains a sudden drop (son, wife and myself avoid those).  And I also have to be careful on any "Health Advisory" attraction to not bother the back too much.   Some attractions such as Star Tours are fine; whereas others like Indiana Jones Adventure are too jarring.

Anyhow, I have successfully captured dark rides regarding photos.  50mm f/1.2L works wonders there.  Maybe one day I'll take the C70 to capture video.

--
Ricky

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

I don't recall that much of a drop, more of a fast elevator, but of course, YMMV. I was actually glad it was not a motion simulator like Star Tours, since those make me motion sick. As you can see from my images the *scale* of the thing is amazing.

Yea, I did watch a couple videos on it and it must be one massive structure to house all that.  Bummer about Star Tours; it was my favorite attraction this trip as we went on that 7 times! 

--
Ricky

I still go, I just have to avoid meals before and after. 8^)

JonKline
Enthusiast

Great shots! I know what you mean struggling to bring a camera that's not too big. More than once I've taken a camera on vacation and then left it in the hotel because it feels too bulky.

ata
Enthusiast

Another amazing lens from Canon. I have a Canon Rf 85mm f/1.2 DS lens and I definitely want a new version of this lens.😍

Announcements