cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adult antlion

JayLT
Contributor

I don't see too many of these a year, but they are one of my favorite insects to get a picture of.  This was taken with the EOS R7 # and RF100mm F2.8 L MACRO IS USM 

R7__7105-CR3_DXO-STK-08-26.jpg

13 REPLIES 13

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Now, that is quite exquisite!  Kudos indeed!

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thank you!

BK5524
Contributor

I love macro photography. I’ve just recently gotten back in to photography and bought an R7. Still learning to use it. Would love to add this lens to my kit. I currently primarily use a 70-200 EF and it’s great. I can’t yet afford the new RF lenses. How much am I really missing without one?

Brian
EOS R7. EF70-200mm f2.8L IS II USM

Since I don't do macro photography myself, I can only give general comments.   Many RF lenses add to the speed of acquisition of focus and tracking and those that have OIS can interact with IBIS-capable camera.   Also the optics have been enhanced as well, and finally a lot of lenses offer faster lenses - down to f/1.2 for example.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

The RF lens is great, but the EF 100mm f/2.8L IS macro lens is very close in capability and can be found much cheaper on the used market.  The main difference between the two is the 1.4x magnification of the RF versus the 1.0x magnification of the EF.  The 1.4x magnification is great, when you can use it, but it really depends on the subject you shooting as getting that full 1.4x means you need to get VERY close to the subject.  For me, I shoot live subjects so that's not an easy thing to do.  You also start to get into issues with a very narrow depth-of-field (DoF) which means you'll either want to use focus bracketing/stacking and/or a flash with a small aperture, probably around f/16

In the mean time you can add extension tubes to the 70-200 lens to allow a shorted minimum focus distance, they are an inexpensive option to get a bit closer 

MCPhotography
Contributor

What an amazing image. Those eyes! Wow.

Thank you!  The eyes on these certainly stand out, I have some close-up shots and the colors they have are really impressive

ccanada
Community Manager
Community Manager

I am loving everything about this image! Beautiful composition and color. If you'd like the chance to be featured across our social channels, submit some images to our https://canon.us/shotoncanon site.

Thank you!

click here to view the gallery
Announcements