cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Day at the Zoo with the RF 100-500

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Since I cannot travel overseas right now, I keep my hand in with trips to the zoo, which presents its own challenges, including noisy children and animals that hide away from view.  That said, I try very hard to not include the structures of the zoo, in other words to make the images look as if they could be taken in the wild.

Here are some from my latest trip, taken with the EOS R5, hand-held, available light:
A flash of Kea Colour: 500mm, f/8, 1/320sec, ISO-6400A flash of Kea Colour: 500mm, f/8, 1/320sec, ISO-6400Bored Father: 500mm, f/7.1, 1/500sec, ISO-1250Bored Father: 500mm, f/7.1, 1/500sec, ISO-1250EOS R5 Rf 100-500@ 400mm, f/8, 1/400sec, ISO-1000EOS R5 Rf 100-500@ 400mm, f/8, 1/400sec, ISO-1000Red Panda in seclusion: 500mm, f/8, 1/125sec, ISO-6400Red Panda in seclusion: 500mm, f/8, 1/125sec, ISO-6400

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
7 REPLIES 7

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

My complements as it gives me some ideas as we have some nice zoos in Tennessee and Georgia.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

I hope you will post some images if you go to shoot at those then!

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Got it on the never-expanding list of to-to items. Is the last photo of a red panda? If so, we have one or two in the zoo in Chattanooga, Tennessee.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

Hi John:

Yes, it is indeed. They are extremely elusive to get a view of, never mind a photo, as they generally are hidden behind trees or deep in the foliage.  So, any clear shot is a bonus!

cheers, TREVOR

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@Trevor,

Nice shots of the bird and orangutan.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks Rick.  Until I can travel overseas, these zoo trips keep me in touch with animal life and give me some chance to keep my patience and animal shooting skills up to scratch.  We don't have any large native mammals in NZ, just a bat actually, so for anything more exotic than a cow, sheep, dog or the odd farmed deer, the zoo is the go-to spot!

cheers, TREVOR

deebatman316
Elite
Elite

How well does the AF perform on the RF 100-500mm lens. Compared to the RF 100-400mm lens. My friend's dad is looking into a new telephoto to replace his original non-IS EF 300mm F/2.8L USM from 1987. That was Canon's first USM lens. It was also the fastest focusing lens at the time. Since there is no RF Mount equivalent lens at this time. 

-Demetrius
Bodies: EOS 40D (Retired) & EOS 5D Mark IV (Current)
Lenses: EF Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 70-210mm F/4 (Brought out of Retirement) & EF 85mm F/1.8 USM
Speedlites: 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Announcements