cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XF605: Assignable button [Output 60 <<>> 60 (30) fps] - What does it do?

NickMDal
Enthusiast

(page 118 of manual) What does this do?  I was hoping to toggle from 60 to 30 fps and back.

That's what the manual appears to say.  It doesn't work though, at least not when outputting to an HDMI recorder.

When toggled, 60(30) fps appears on the screen but nothing seems to change.  The recorder still receives 59.94 (60).

6 REPLIES 6

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Page 120

shadowsports_0-1679232638908.png

Question.  Do you have Slow Fast Motion Enabled?  If not, the toggle will not change the FR output coming from the SDI or HDMI to 30P

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

NickMDal
Enthusiast

Thank you for helping!  Slow/fast is on now. 

The LCD shows 60/30, which I assume means the actual (playback) frame rate is 30 and recording (shooting) is 60.

With this setting the monitor shows 60fps.  The toggle does not do anything.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Alright.  What is the brand and model of the HDMI recorder and what format you are recording in? 

Let me get some additional eyes on this.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

NickMDal
Enthusiast

It's a 7" Ninja Inferno.  It records Apple pro-res up to 4K60.

AtticusLake
Mentor
Mentor

I didn't reply to this at first because I don't have an XF camera -- but I've just realised that the R5C has the same thing!  I had no idea.

Unfortunately, I still have no clue what it does.  The manual just has the same tiny snippet that Rick already posted about "toggles the frame rate of video output terminals".  I would have guessed that this would change the frame rate of the HDMI output, but since that frame rate is negotiated between the two devices (camera and external recorder), I have no idea how that would work.

BTW in my manual, it says "only during normal recording", so switching to slow&fast would certainly disable it.

But in any case this is only about the frame rate over HDMI (and on the LCD).  This has nothing to do with the video you capture.  If you actually want to capture 24 fames per second, then you need to set the camera to film at that frame rate.  Otherwise the camera is capturing at one frame rate, then converting the video to a different rate for HDMI, which is generally not what you want.

NickMDal
Enthusiast

Thanks for contributing.  Framerate negotiation involving a Ninja monitor defaults to the host camera's setting.

The "only during normal recording" is right.  The toggle status show on the LCD only then.  Still it does not seem to do anything.

It would be a valuable feature, enabling a quick switch to and back from slo-mo with a single button.  I guess I'll go back to shooting 60fps and changing the playback rate to 30 in the editor.  Much appreciation!

click here to view the gallery
Announcements