cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XA60 vs G70 for Cinematic Filming

ThisIsMyHandle
Apprentice

Hello I’m trying to do some comparative research on these two camcorders and need a professionals opinion. I believe I’ve narrowed my search down to these. I currently have a SL3 and while I do like it, I believe a camcorder will be better suited to me. I have a YouTube channel that focuses mainly on hunting. While some of my footage will be literal run n gun, most will be from a tree. Maybe 50/50.  My plan is to start making more cinematic (hunting) films, with some technical editing. So I’d need a camera that will allow me the versatility to do that. My problem is that when I look at the comparisons, I don’t exactly know what I’m looking at. If someone on here has knowledge of one or the other, I could use your help. Thank you. 

2 REPLIES 2

chrisrees87
Apprentice

My advice is, if you can record video to any degree, even with just a phone or a GoPro, then you should upgrade your sound recording capacity to an external recorder long before you upgrade your camera’s video quality.  Better to spend $400 on a Zoom H6 Essential than a new camera because videos with bad sound are just bad videos, but videos with low record quality and excellent sound are way more captivating.  
Don’t get the XA60 to record sound. Nothing wrong with the camera for recording sound, but if you want good quality sound and you’re outdoors, you’ll want to use an external recorder to separately capture the ambient noise, nature sounds, hunting sounds, etc, and then put them into your video afterwards so that you aren’t limited by the way you placed your microphones initially. You’ll also have to be thinking about how to keep them out of your shot. So instead, let the in-built mic do its thing, and use it later as a sound track reference to re-record your sound in much better quality. 
Given that you probably already bought this camera, and that it may or may not be sitting on a shelf, I highly recommend you get that recording device and start trying to use everything to its fullest potential.  
Whatever you do, keep doing it!  

WaltE
Contributor

The word cinematic is a fickle term.  Some would say Arri or Panavision. The baseline has been 4:2:2 10 Bit log or raw for awhile now from what I can tell.  That would but you into a XF605.  I have an XC10 that is close at 4:2:2 8 bit log log but I'm pretty sure you would be disappointed in 10X zoom for your videos.  Having said all that, for Youtube I'm sure either camera would be fine.  By the time Youtube gets done mangling video to make it stream easy anything more would mostly go to waste.  You can get a used C200 now for around 2G and it ticks all the boxes for benchmark.  It does eat storage but puts out quite an image.  I like the autofocus it has for wildlife, quite quick.  Obviously it has downsides.  Used L lenses can be gotten at a fairly good price but it is a booger to shoulder rig.  Back to Youtube and such, I've been using an old Sony AX53 consumer cam for a lot of wildlife shots, lol.  500 and something zoom lens that is Ziess and a gimble stabilizing system that will hold that length steady.  It's only 4:2:0 8 bit with a 1/2" sensor and clips a lot of highlights but for Youtube, why not!  It does snag a clear image.  

click here to view the gallery
Announcements