cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PoE+ not working on CR-N300 PTZ camera

BCFischer
Apprentice

Greetings! I am new to the forum and a new user of a Canon CR-N300 PTZ camera. I use it in a house of worship for live streaming.

I plan to power the device with PoE+ and have a PoE+ injector between my switch and the camera. The camera does not power on (the status light blinks green) with the just the LAN/PoE+ CAT6 cable attached. The camera powers up and does everything it is supposed to when I have the supplied power adapter attached. My eventual permanent mounting location would make the supplied power adapter difficult to use. PoE and NDI, allowing a one cable solution, was a big part of my camera selection.

Is there anything that I need to do with the camera in setup or in the settings to allow it to be powered by PoE+?

Take care and stay safe,

Brian

4 REPLIES 4

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

According to the website, the PoE+ switch or injector must meet the following requirements:

PoE+ Input: Approx. 16.2 W* max. (body only)
DC Input: Approx. 15.0 W max. (body only)
*Class 4 (25.5 W required) for power supply devices

Something like this with a run of 300 ft or less should work.

shadowsports_0-1645199318822.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

rod_z
Apprentice

Were you ever able to resolve this issue? I am having the same problem.

Thanks!

Hey Rod_Z!

My problem ended up being pretty pedestrian. The labeling on my POE injectors was vague. The ones I received did not pass the correct wattage for the devices - enough to light up some lights, but not produce an image or pass a control command.

I did have an issue with some of my ethernet cables (which I made myself) as well - there are a couple of different wiring configurations for ethernet, T-568A and T-568B. I was using some old patch cables (some that were used for telecom in their prior application) in the array that mixed stuff up - once I made sure that everything was T-568A and all 8 wires were used, everything worked as it should. I am running one camera with a run of about 30 ft and one with a run of about 180 ft, with content, control, and current all running across the one cable. I am using Cat6a cables and trying to build my infrastructure up to 8K capability.

Brian

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

rian,

Glad to hear you figured it out.  As nice as making your own cables is, one faulty crimp can send you down a rabbit hole looking for connectivity issues that wouldn't otherwise exist.  With PoE+, power matters as you discovered.  

Good work solving it.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements