cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VIXIA HF G50 says it can't record while recording

carpnthrs8934
Apprentice

Got a doozy of a question/problem, HELP!!!!

I have a canon vixia hf g50 and I have had it for over a year. I film for dance studios locally and their shows for the owners and parents. I filmed a high school dance show Friday night, no problem (on a 256 GB, I believe, SanDisk SD card). I go back for the Saturday night show and same SD card, about 85% of the show is over, with 3 dances left, I get a message on my camera saying can't record, please check memory card. Why and how did this message pop up WHILE recording? And why did it not do it at all previously, as I said, I started the night with 3 hours and 31 minutes of space on card, its a hour and 30 minute show, why at that point...what would have caused this? I really need the footage off this SD card or I will probably lose a client. Any help please!

3 REPLIES 3

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Sorry to hear of the problems you're having with the camera.

Are you asking for data recovery recommendations, or why did the card in your camera appear to fail?

Was the card freshly formatted before the show?  Cards can fail.  They can have formatting issues.  You had spares with you correct?

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thank you for your reply. I’m more so asking about any data recovery recommendations as I’m sure the entire show from Friday night is still on there and most of the Saturday show. I did have backups and popped in a back up one for the final 3 dances. But I am curious as to what could have caused that at that particular moment. Mainly, I would love to have access to that card to at least grab the shows off there. 

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

PhotoRec is good and free

Digital Picture and File Recovery (cgsecurity.org)

Most card manufacturers offer a recovery software as well.  Most are free to try.  You only pay if they can recover files.   

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements