EOS R5 C: Firmware Version 1.0.7.1

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Firmware update for the Canon R5 C

Changes

1. Adds the following size option to the Focus Guide function:
-Normal/Large
2. Enables the display of Markers during playback.
3. Enables the following functions to be assigned as options to the Select Dial:
-Iris
-Shutter
-ISO/Gain
-White Balance Mode
-White Balance Mode (K)
-White Balance Mode (CC)
-Select Subject
4. Enables the Shutter Speed option to be assigned to the Top Grip control dial, the Top control dial, and Control Ring.
5. Enables the AF frame position to be reset by pushing the Joystick. (Video Mode)
6. Adds the following thickness option to the Continuous AF frame:
-Normal/Slightly Thick/Thick.
7. Adds supports for the lens correction function that is included with EOS VR Utility Version 1.4 or later.
8. Fixes minor issues.

The focus guide enhancement is helpful for focus confirmation. Its can be made larger which is easier to see on the LCD or an external display.

Playback markers are helpful for perspective, scale and subject orientation. They are now available during playback. The camera already had both vertical and horizontal levels.

Button mapping additions. Previously you could not map settings to the Quick Control dial. These were available on the C70. They are now present on the R5 C.

Shutter Speed option to be assigned to the Top Grip control dial, the Top control dial, and Control Ring. **I use Shutter angle so I have not tested this feature.

In Video mode you can now reset the AF frame positions using the joystick. (video mode) This is great for muscle memory. Previously you would use the delete (trash can) key.

Set AF frame thickness - Normal/Slightly Thick/Thick. You have always been able to set the size of the AF frame. Whole frame, large and small. Now you can adjust the thickness of the frame. Like the Focus Guide enhancement, it helps you see the frame better if you are shooting in bright light.

Lens correction function that is included with EOS VR Utility Version 1.4. This is a big one for VR lens owners. It adds lens data support for peripheral illumination and CA supported in the Canon VR Utility v1.4. **I don't own this lens but one community user validated the change.

Lastly, number 8. Fixes minor issues. No idea what these are. 🤔

Important. The update is performed in video mode, and takes approx. 10 min to apply. All camera settings are reset after 1.0.7.1 is installed. You cannot revert to an earlier version of the FW after this update. Because of the changes introduced, you cannot restore button mappings or customizations from a settings back up made from a earlier FW version.

If anyone has more to add, please do. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

3 REPLIES 3

upa86
Contributor

Hello, I’m going to the Canon USA product support for the R5C. I see that it’s only offering firmware update 1.0.6.1 still. I see canon from other parts of the world is already offering the new update, but not canon USA. Is there a reason why? Thank you.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

The 1.0.7.1 firmware is definitely available on the Canon USA website.  That's where I downloaded from.  Grab it here:

https://pdisp01.c-wss.com/gdl/WWUFORedirectTarget.do?id=MDQwMDAwOTcyNDAx&cmp=ABR&lang=EN

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

upa86
Contributor

Ok! I see what is going on! If you click windows, new firmware appears. If you click Mac as your operating systems, it only shows the previous firmware. Weird! Thank you for your response. 

Announcements