cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cinema EOS R5C - Which focus mode/s to use for non-human subjects for single person shooting

chrishoesel
Enthusiast

Imagine for a moment, that someone who is starting to create content, and has purchased an EOS R5C to film self, without a camera operator, suddenly finding out that camera is unable to focus on anything other than eyes, (with eye-detect on), face (with face priority/face only) turned on when bringing some object into view?

For example, if I'm trying to review a lens, self-filming with an R5C, I got the lighting spot-on, exposure perfect, everything is great, camera focusing on me perfectly, but I'm trying to show an object such as a lens, cannot get camera to shift focus over to the object, unless I cover my eyes, or move my face away from the frame.

I don't have a camera operator, nor can I reach to the camera LCD to set a tracking point for focus.

Is there a focus strategy that works in my case, or should I sell this and get an R3?

Any tips appreciated.

I'm mostly a stills shooter, so I love the stills side of the camera, but decided to try the cinema side because the footage looks amazing.  It's just that this specific case might disqualify it for me.

Past Gear:
1DX, 1DXII, 1DIV, 7D, EF 2.8 Trinity, EF-500mm f/4L IS USM, EF 50mm f/1,2L II USM
Current Gear:
R5C, RP, RF15-35mm f/2.8L IS USM, RF24-105mm f/4L IS USM, RF50mm f/1.2L USM, RF100mm f/2.8L IS Macro USM, 4x 600EX-II-RT Speedlites
3 REPLIES 3

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings , 

Watch the video I referenced in this post.

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Professional-Video/SEEKING-Tutor-gt-Canon-EOS-R5-C-issues-with-fi...

It might help.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

chrishoesel
Enthusiast

Thanks for the link, however I had already watched it a few weeks ago, and although useful in other cases, also gives some more tips for other scenarios; it still requires someone at the camera to be selecting the tracking.  I can't do that, since I'd have to reach across my desk and try to fumble about on the LCD while it's recording.  I wish there was an autofocus case selector like in stills mode.

Past Gear:
1DX, 1DXII, 1DIV, 7D, EF 2.8 Trinity, EF-500mm f/4L IS USM, EF 50mm f/1,2L II USM
Current Gear:
R5C, RP, RF15-35mm f/2.8L IS USM, RF24-105mm f/4L IS USM, RF50mm f/1.2L USM, RF100mm f/2.8L IS Macro USM, 4x 600EX-II-RT Speedlites

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

I think you might need a second camera (B Cam).  Thats how all these guys do it. 

Why do you believe the R3 is going to be different?  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements