cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon XA40 Flicker in sunlight and shadows

astrebel
Apprentice

I noticed while recording video outside that there is a light flicker that occurs. Even using tripod with a subject in focus, I can see slight variations with lighting. I have looked at various options to see what the issue could be without success. Any suggestions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbjlIv729eI

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Mark35mmF2
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi there,

Based on what you describe there are a few options which might help. Maybe the best option to maintain total control over exposure at all times would be to shoot in the Manual Exposure Mode (M)2, that way the camera is not consistently trying to adjust to the lighting conditions but stays with the settings you set it for. The other option would be to change the metering mode in your exposure menu to [Spot Metering], this would let you tell the camera a specific site to meter the exposure from, and as long as that area stays consistent the exposure should not change much.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Hazel_T
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi astrebel,

I'm sorry to hear you are seeing flickering while shooting in sunlight. Unfortunately we are not able to access YouTube on our Canon work computers, so I'm unable to see your example video. Is the flickering happening in all light conditions, or is is only happening when you shoot in sunlight? Were there any artificial lights nearby that may have been casting light into your shot? What frame rate and resolution were you recording in?

Hi Hazel_T,

It only seems to be an issue outside in the sunlight. It is only really noticeable when the sunlight is casting on outside walls. It seems the camera is auto balance for the light and subjects within frame. At the time we were shooting at 1920x1080 at 59.64P.

Mark35mmF2
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi there,

Based on what you describe there are a few options which might help. Maybe the best option to maintain total control over exposure at all times would be to shoot in the Manual Exposure Mode (M)2, that way the camera is not consistently trying to adjust to the lighting conditions but stays with the settings you set it for. The other option would be to change the metering mode in your exposure menu to [Spot Metering], this would let you tell the camera a specific site to meter the exposure from, and as long as that area stays consistent the exposure should not change much.

astrebel
Apprentice

The manual adjustment will have to be our work around. It just mean we will have to plan our shots better. Having a steady exposure will also make any post-edits easier too.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements