cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C300 Miii & C500Mii: no PreRes (raw)?

CGarcia
Apprentice

I'm dissapointed that Canon has seemingly decided not to offer the option to record ProRes in it's latest cinema cameras.  Does anyone know if Canon plans to at least offer the option to output a PreRes Raw signal in the new C300/C500s as it did with the C300 Mii?  

ProRes workflows are convenient and efficient for a lot of people and it would be nice if some of this functionality was offered again.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Are you sure that the C300 II offerred ProRes? I don't see that listed in the online specifications or its user manual.

I believe the only cinema camera that offers ProRes is the C700.

ProRes RAW is also fairly new, so it will take a bit longer for manufacturers to offer that.

I do agree though about ProRes in general.  Would be great to see it offered in more models.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Are you sure that the C300 II offerred ProRes?

It did via ProRes raw output:

https://www.atomos.com/press-releases/canon-c300-mkii-prores-raw-atomos-kit

I wonder why Canon decided not to do this with the new models.  

No, that's the external recorder that is offerring the ProRes recording.  The C300's output signal itself isn't data in the ProRes format.

This is true for most devices; an external recorder can be used to provide recording in more formats and/or to offer higher quality recordings.  For example, some devices are limited to say 8-bit 4:2:0 recording internally (due to perhaps slower media, thermal considerations, etc.).  But will then output say a 10-bit 4:2:2 signal for use by external recorders/equipment.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers
Announcements