Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone Ordering The R5C?

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Anyone else considering?  The R5C was not the road I anticipated taking, but I'm tired of waiting and since this body doesn't overheat, I am more confident about it over the standard R5.      

Although I am a stills shooter, the Cinema EOS side of the body is intriguing.  Its so much smaller than a C70.  I'm not serious enough about video that I'd miss Clog2.  The body has 16 14 stops so plenty of DR for my use.  Its also not limited to Super35 or 16 (which isn't so much a limitation), but Canon has really stepped up here.  I don't care about ibis.  All of my lenses except 1 are IS and the body has digital IS built in.  I have purchased a bunch of accessories.  Control Ring Adapter, 2 512GB CF ExpressB, 2 128GB UHSII, 2x Watson batteries (Canon was out of stock), and I've not tried Manfrotto batteries yet.  

Going to try the AngelBird CFExpress cards and ProGrade for the XD Cards.  I've always used SanDisk so going to try something else.  Both are highly rated.

I also contacted EasyCover in the Netherlands and my contact there has said they do not plan to make a skin for the R5C.  Was hoping for this, but am more excited about a new body.  Haven't pulled the trigger quite yet.  I have a quick business trip and wanted to be back for the arrival.  Plan to wait a week.  If nothing glaring is reported, I will finally move to mirrorless.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

131 REPLIES 131

Audio page menus appear to be grayed out with or without the Tascam attached. Either it is a firmware glitch, or Canon had neglected to explain its function.  As for determining levels with an external mic, you can go to the 'Audio Status' page, where there is a representation of channels 1-4.  The camera's internal mic records to 3&4.

I don't have a dynamic mic to test with, but I am wondering if the camera's audio menus can be awakened by plugging a mic directly into the camera's port. The manual suggests that the menus's are for the internal mic, but that could have been a translation snafu.

Where’s the audio status page??

Thanks

You will have to assign it to a an assignable button, under customizing buttons.

Perfect! That solves the problem. Many thanks. Is there documentation somewhere about why the channel 2 meter moves along with the ch 1 meter even if there’s a mic only in Ch 1?

I just happened to come across your post about channel 1&2.  I assume that you are referring to when the Tascam is attached to the R5c?  The Tascam adapter allows one to combine channels 1&2 if you are using a single XLR input, and while I haven't tested that function,. turning it off should allow only the meter for, i.e. channel 1, to be active.  There are no in-camera settings to accomplish that end, unless it is to be found somewhere within the grayed out menus.

wobbleman99
Rising Star

Hi Rick,

I occasionally use an Anker 87W PD power-bank with a 6' USB-C to USB-C 100W compliant cable.  I shoot mainly outdoors with the R5c, and have had no issues with disconnects.  However, I do have some concern with the magnetic connector.  I have an older Macbook Pro that has the magnetic power connector that can easily detach if the cable catches onto something.  Furthermore, if one intends to leave the male connector permanently attached to the camera, the environmental seal/flap may not close around it.  That said, I'm not sure what problem it attempts to resolve?

I should add that the Tascam CA-XLR2d adapter, along with a lightweight Shotgun, is a great addition to the R5c.  There remains the issue of the internal microphone, but its recorded tracks can be easily deleted or muted in post, and the Tascam adapter allows one to monitor only its attached microphone.  There is an R5c firmware issue, however, and that relates to the grayed out menus on the audio pages, but I personally have little use for the internal mic.

Regards,

Ron

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Ron,

All good points once again.  Not 100% on the use case.  It was just something I saw a few people using with a small built up rig.  I got my first stock alert from B&H.  (No stock) so it looks like its going to be a while for me (still).  

Eventually, I will try and do the smallest PD possible, one that provides a decent power to weight ratio.  I will never need power for an all day video shoot and will be happy with something that can keep the camera going with a few breaks. 

I'm a little disappointed now that I didn't order sooner, and that there isn't enough inventory to meet demand. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

wobbleman99
Rising Star

Hi Rick,

It had been rumored that the next shipment of R5c's would come about on 5/28/22, but I don't know if that is, or was ever a valid statement. As for a lightweight PD supply, I do agree, but ultimately decided that if I had to carry something extra, as in, a PD Power bank, I may as well make it something that has real power.  The 87 Watt Anker isn't light by any definition, but it is pocketable, and it fits in just about any of the many pockets on my photographer's vest.  I don't plan to use it on a regular basis, as the camera can shoot 8k 30fps with its internal battery, but not for long, and add to that the fact that I shoot mainly 4k to match with my C300, it quickly becomes a non-issue.

I hope that Canon fixes the apparent firmware issue with the R5c before the next release, because as of the current time, almost all of the audio menus are grayed out and inaccessible.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Ron,

5/28.  Thats what I read as well.  Was hoping it wasn't true.   I think you will see a FW update, but not until after the next release of body's. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

wobbleman99
Rising Star

Actually, since I find the internal microphone of limited value, I don't care when they fix it.  That said, it should be corrected in order to make the camera whole.  It just shows how slipshod their QC is, since anyone who had bothered to check those menus prior to release would have noticed the deficiency, and it wouldn't have taken an IT genius.

Finally, I am finding this website to be onerous.  The insistent survey that pops up every time one logs on and then takes the user to the Canon Store, does not make for a pleasant trip to this site.  And the inability to jump to the last page of a topic is also a nuisance.  I have made these comments on the survey page numerous times, but I doubt that anyone is even perusing the comments.

Announcements