Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone Ordering The R5C?

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Anyone else considering?  The R5C was not the road I anticipated taking, but I'm tired of waiting and since this body doesn't overheat, I am more confident about it over the standard R5.      

Although I am a stills shooter, the Cinema EOS side of the body is intriguing.  Its so much smaller than a C70.  I'm not serious enough about video that I'd miss Clog2.  The body has 16 14 stops so plenty of DR for my use.  Its also not limited to Super35 or 16 (which isn't so much a limitation), but Canon has really stepped up here.  I don't care about ibis.  All of my lenses except 1 are IS and the body has digital IS built in.  I have purchased a bunch of accessories.  Control Ring Adapter, 2 512GB CF ExpressB, 2 128GB UHSII, 2x Watson batteries (Canon was out of stock), and I've not tried Manfrotto batteries yet.  

Going to try the AngelBird CFExpress cards and ProGrade for the XD Cards.  I've always used SanDisk so going to try something else.  Both are highly rated.

I also contacted EasyCover in the Netherlands and my contact there has said they do not plan to make a skin for the R5C.  Was hoping for this, but am more excited about a new body.  Haven't pulled the trigger quite yet.  I have a quick business trip and wanted to be back for the arrival.  Plan to wait a week.  If nothing glaring is reported, I will finally move to mirrorless.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

131 REPLIES 131

wobbleman99
Rising Star

I am a C300 MK III owner/user, and I had pre-ordered an R5c as a companion to the Mk III.  There are all kinds of rumors floating about regarding shipment in the USA, but it does appear that they may begin shipping in the US on Monday, April 4th. I certainly hope so, since I had placed an order the first morning that it had become possible, but one never knows.

That said, the only downside I anticipate at this time is the lack of builtin ND filters.  Given that its native ISO floats between 800 and 3200 in much the same way that the MK III does, and since I find myself using the MK III's builtin ND's with almost all of my outdoor shooting, I suspect that I will be looking for a collection of screw-in variable ND filters, or in the alternative, Canon's EF-RF adapter with variable ND filter.

I also pre-ordered the R5c but no guesses of when it'll come in. Since you ordered it so early, can I ask if yours came in yet? If you didn't get yours yet, I certainly won't get mine in time.

Yes, it arrived on Tuesday via FedEx overnight.  I had ordered early morning on Jan 19th.  I suspect that you haven't noticed the multitude of posts that I have placed regarding the camera, accessories and such.  If not, check out the earlier posts under the heading 'Anyone ordering the R5c'.  it's a great camera, I'm still on the learning curve for the photo side—which I probably will not use much—but the video side is familiar to me.

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

While tempting to have a single piece of gear, I still very much prefer having dedicated gear with no compromises.  For me, built-in ND filters are a must for my video work.   So I will keep my EOS C70 and one day move to a mirrorless photo camera when my 5D IV needs replacing.

Having said that, while I have only used Angelbird's SD offerings (V60 and V90 rated cards), I have had no issues at all and quite impressed by their company.

Having 16 stops has been a complete joy!

Finally, I have not had any time to play around with the new Cinema RAW Lite available on the C70 and R5 C.  Was very surprised to be getting RAW video capabilities.  Thank you, Canon!

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

AtticusLake
Mentor
Mentor

If overheating is what's stopping you from getting an R5 (assuming for video), well, just make sure you're not being put off by too much hype.

On one hand, if you're for example, a wedding videographer who needs to record 1-hour ceremonies, then... overheating won't be an issue, because the record time limit will kick in before it overheats.  But certainly the R5 wouldn't be for you.

On the other hand, I've been recording landscape videos, in 4k HQ, with my R5 since July.  I generally record a few 15 or 30 minute segments in a session, with some setup time in between.  Overheating has never been an issue.

So you might find that an R5 could work for you, and it would save you both money and bulk.  The R5 has been fantastic for me, and the detail you get from the 4k HQ picture is awesome.  The one BIG pain is the lack of built-in ND filters, so I have to set up an external filter every time.  So the R5 is very much my B cam.  My A cam is a C70, which is absolutely excellent.

Hello,

Just wondering how you manage with your C70, with just an LCD, out in the bright sunlight shooting landscape?  I have tried using the LCD on my C300 MK III in the bright, S Florida sunlit environment and it is useless, to the extent that I have removed it and am now using an EVF-V70 that disallows the simultaneous use of the LCD.  Even my Black Magic Video Assist 7" 12G, with a 1,000 nits, presents a challenge.  And that is the primary reason that I have chosen, as a 'B' cam, to give the R5c a go ... it has an EVF, albeit, not tilt-able like the EVF-V70, but should be perfectly visible under the stated circumstances.  And then there is the fan, which I see as a major benefit for one who shoots in a hot environment.  

However, if the C70 had been created with an EVF, or the option to easily install one, it would have been the logical choice for me as a 'B' cam.  And I do know that ND filters will be a necessity with the R5c, but I can easily screw in an ND, or variable ND filter on the front of any of my lenses.

Not brilliantly, I'd have to say.  It's been OK during the winter, and even today I was out filming snow-clad mountains in the sunshine, and it was do-able.  But not great.  I have considered an EVF, but for me a nice bright monitor would be good -- I'm shooting a lot of pieces to camera at the mo.

Yes, that had been my experience with LCD use.  Even the brightest LCD monitor/recorders present a challenge in sunlight, which is why I opt for an EVF whenever and wherever possible.  An alternate solution might be a hood of some kind. 

Zacuto makes a bracket for their EVF that slides onto the C70's cold/hot shoe, but then the problem of powering it arises, unless you can find a not too bulky battery that works with the C70 and has a 'd' tap.

Hi AtticusLake,

I wonder if you can tell me if it is possible to turn off the C70's internal microphone in order to use an external mic?

Ron

Announcements