cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pixma pro 100 versus pixma ip8720

dibanno
Apprentice

Hi:

I'm in the market for a new photo printer.  I've had Epsons for years but these Canons really look nice.  I'm looking at the Pixma Pro 100 and the Pixma ip8720.  What is your opinion?

Thanks!

4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I have the Pro-100 and I have a Pro-9500 II, so you probably know my preference.  Smiley Happy

Either will do a nice job and I guess the only big difference between the two is, one ia a 6 color printer and the other is an 8.

The Pro-100 is a beast at nearly 45 pounds.  It is a truly nice photo printer.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

With the currently available rebates the Pro-100 is the less expensive printer. And it prints outstanding prints.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

dibanno
Apprentice

Thanks!  I just received the Pro 100!  Can't wait to try it out.  Yes, it is a beast.  I had to buy a new desk!

Here are some resources for you:

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/galleries/galleries/tutorials/pixma_software_tutorials.shtml

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlV7cqqladQ

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

12 REPLIES 12

I am also trying to decide between these two printers.  Which would you recommend for printing (mostly) color prints of hand skteches and other artist renderings that will be scanned in as pdfs/jpegs, some photo printing, and I wouldn't mind being able to use it for pdfs of BW line drawings (from autocad) as well.

thanks!

I own a Pixma Pro-100 and cannot remember if it can print on conventional paper, like 11x17 inch.  Because printing raster grapics from CAD software, like Autocad, would be serious overkill on a Pro-100, if you had to use photo paper.  Not unless you plan on printing 3D rendered images, which could be worthy of framing.

If you all you need is hard copy output for markups, then using photo paper would be overkill.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

The printing software for the ip8720 model is HORRIBLE! I have wasted hours trying to print 12.95 x 20" prints! If I try to use 13" wide the software tells me no- must be under 12.95". The software also limits the length to 26.66" OK. Canon online help says you can print 12.95 x 26.5" prints. Fine. I can print with specified paper 13.00 x 19.00 inch which is a size cut-sheet paper you buy. Why does the printer software limit it to 12.95inch wide? If I try to enter 12.95 (or 13.00) wide x 20.0 (or 20.1) inch the printer. no matter what kind of photo paper I specify, reverts to 12" wide or 14" wide!!! The 14" wide paper setting then forces the printer to scale the print down from full size so it will fit on a 12" wide paper! The printer physically can not take wider than 13". THE SOFTWARE IS VERY CONVOLUTED TOO! You have to go through about 6 levels to get to set a custom print or page size! DO NOT BUY IF UNLESS YOU WANT TO PRINT NO LARGER THAN 13 x 29" USELESS FOR ROLL STOCK TO GET OTHER THAN STANDARD SHEET SIZES! When the software changes the page size on you it does not warn you it has done so! YOU MUST PREVIEW YOUR PRINTS TO SEE WHAT THE PRINTER HAS DECIDED TO DO WITH YOUR INPUTS! HORRIBLE SOFTWARE.  i hope the Pro100 has better software.

Announcements