cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So disappointed with the PRO-100

ed_vatza
Enthusiast

Just to refresh...

I have an Epson 3800 that works fine and produces beautiful prints.

When I sold my Leicas and returned to Canon after about 3-4 years, I got a package deal with my 5DMkIII and lenses that included a Pixma Pro 100. Hey, it's included in the package and essentially free. Free is good. I'll take it. 

There is no way in hell that the prints from the Pro-100 can hold water to the Epson. None. My monitor is calibrated (i1Pro). I have tried printing from Lightroom which is my preferred method with the Epson and the prints (black & white, I must stress) look faded, look like there is a light fog and are are prone to a magenta cast. And I reiterate the prints from the Epson, by comparison, look crisp with excellent contrast and detail. 

I have tried Canon Print STudio Pro. Same result.

The paper used is Canson Infinity Baryta Photographique. The inks are Canon. Yes I know, try the Canon papers. Well we all know that the Canon papers are second-rate compared to the papers from manufactures like Canson Infinity, Moab and others. 

I could go on and on but it is just a sorry state of affairs. While I love my Canon cameras, lenses, etc., my Pro-100 just flat out stinks and is destined to be a boat anchor.

Sorry Canon, maybe you should stick to cameras and leave the printer business to those who know what they are doing.

Am I frustrated? You bet!

Ed

Canon 5DMkIII...Canon 35mm f/1.4L II... Canon 50mm f/1.2L... Canon 85mm f/1.8... Canon 135mm f/2.0L
and dare I add... a Canon F-1 with 35mm, 50mm, and 135mm FD lenses
Pixma Pro-100 & Epson 3800 Printers
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Last bit of experimentation for today...

I used Red River Arctic Polar Satin.

I turned off the B&W.

I used the RRP APS icc profile from RRP.

I cranked the Magenta back to -50 (as far as it would go).

I printed.

The print looked really good.

Then I put it side by side with a print on RRP APS from the 3800 made using the Epson ABW setting.

The Epson print is pure B&W. The Pro-100 print still has a slight magenta cast.

I think I'll take the advice of the RRP gentleman. To paraphrase, he said if you have the 3800 and really like the print quality on a variety of different papers, why are you driving yourself crazy over the PRO-100? It's time to stop making myself crazy.

Thanks for all the suggestions. And remember... he who has one watch always knows what time it is. He who has two is never quite sure. 

Ed

Canon 5DMkIII...Canon 35mm f/1.4L II... Canon 50mm f/1.2L... Canon 85mm f/1.8... Canon 135mm f/2.0L

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Last bit of experimentation for today...

I used Red River Arctic Polar Satin.

I turned off the B&W.

I used the RRP APS icc profile from RRP.

I cranked the Magenta back to -50 (as far as it would go).

I printed.

The print looked really good.

Then I put it side by side with a print on RRP APS from the 3800 made using the Epson ABW setting.

The Epson print is pure B&W. The Pro-100 print still has a slight magenta cast.

I think I'll take the advice of the RRP gentleman. To paraphrase, he said if you have the 3800 and really like the print quality on a variety of different papers, why are you driving yourself crazy over the PRO-100? It's time to stop making myself crazy.

Thanks for all the suggestions. And remember... he who has one watch always knows what time it is. He who has two is never quite sure. 

Ed

" To paraphrase, he said if you have the 3800 and really like the print quality on a variety of different papers, why are you driving yourself crazy over the PRO-100?"

Very good point and bery good advice in my book.  But I guess Mac is different than Win.  If you don't select B&W on the Pro-100 and let PS do everything, all the controls are there.  All the profiles are there.  Even if you select B&W on the Pro-100 all the Canon profiles are still there.

123.jpg

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements