cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pro9000 restore from hibernation

mallison
Apprentice

I've been given a Pro9000 (not II) that has been in storage for maybe 5 years.  It has had almost no usage and the installed ink cartridges are the original that came with the machine.  Looking for any advice on what triage might be necessary to restore this to working condition.  Does this ink go bad?  If so, is there a recovery process to purge?  I don't know this printer at all & would appreciate any advice.

3 REPLIES 3

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Hook it up, do a deep cleaning and then try a nozzle check.

If it doesn't check out OK there a re various guidances online for performing head cleanings.

If that is unsucessful you can buy a replacemnt print head, but my advice would be to keep your eye out for a good rebate deal on a Pixma PRO-100. They have been offered as low a $50 after rebate. New head and ink for a Pro-9000 will be two or three times that.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

$50.00 after rebate?  That would solve any problems with my 9000!  After the deep cleaning, I won't spend a cent & would look for the Pro-100.  I'll be reading up about this model.  Thanks for the great advice.

The idea of getiing a Pro-100 is a wise one.

I can almost 100% garrantee you the ink is bad or has fouled the cricial parts.

These printers can sit for a long time without issues but 5 years?  I guess itis worth a try.  It would have been better to have removed the ink cartridges.  New ink and a through soaking, cleaning, of the print head may bring it back.

The Pro-100 has several new features over the 9000.  Well worth the upgrade.  I have never seen it for $50 bucks but $150 or in that neighboehood is pretty common.  B&H   Adorama  and you will get free shipping on this 50 lb behemouth.

BTW, if you try to revive the 9000, the new ink will not fit the Pro-100.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements