cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pro 300 printer: why bad prints with matte paper?

jimigunne
Contributor

Have a brand new Pro 300 printer for producing art prints. Initially produced some small A4 prints of a painting  on Canon photo glossy II, and the quality/ color accuracy is ok. Then I tried making an actual art print on Canon Photo Paper Pro Premium Matte A3+. Both the PC print utility and the printer were set up for this paper. This looks horrible. Parts of image that are a vibrant burnt sienna color came out a muddy gray! My understanding is that all quality art prints should be matte. But this printer cant produce a decent matte print. Is this brand/ type of paper just not compatible? Spent 950.00 for this printer thinking I would get beautiful prints, but got c**p.

8 REPLIES 8

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Can you confirm that you are printing on the correct side of the paper?

What computer operating system?

What photo software?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I couldnt tell any difference between sides of paper. So it only prints correctly on one side? I will try printing on other side& see if its better. 

Well I flipped the print and printed on other side. Looks better. But how do I tell which side is correct when I cant really tell a difference. Both side are matte, seem the same. This would cause a lot of wasted ink.

As I posted below, wet a finger tip and touch a corner. The print side will be tacky to the touch. 

I believe the paper is loaded in the package with the non-print side facing the back of the package where the flap is. 

Edit - I just checked my package of the paper. The back side faces the flap and the print side faces the front, protected y the corrugated cardboard inside the box.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Ok, thanks. I made a big mistake removing the entire pack from its box. But ill try your technique to determine which side is print side on the top sheet, and all the others will be the same. Thanks again. 

This is a big problem. One side of paper prints good, and one side not. But I even examined the paper under a phographic studio light and cant tell the difference. Cant use this paper i suppose although had to pay around 50.00 a pack!

I guess I can’t help then. The paper is packed all the same. Once you determine the correct side, as I described, keep using that side. It is a very good paper. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

If you are using matte photo paper it is coated on one side. Wet a finger tip. The print side will be tacky to the touch. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements