cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pro 1000 Color cast on prints

paaflyer
Apprentice

I have a Canon PRO 1000. It has printed perfectly until very recently. Now all my prints come out with a yellowish caste/tint to them. I have a calibrated iMac monitor using the Datacolor SpyderX Pro. I have calibrated the printer in the maintenance area. I use Lightroom for all my photo editing and printing. For the monitor in Settings I have selected Apple Mac-1 for color profile created using the SpyderX. I use an ICC profile for the paper I use but have tried all the generic settings. Same result. In Lightroom I have tried various settings in the print module. Under printer settings/Printer options I have tried using calibrated, default, and diusregard value. same results. I have done print head cleanings and all colors come out OK. Cleanings make no change. Various photo papers also tried with same results. Yellowish looking. Bad colors due to yellow cast. Any ideas will be appreciated.

11 REPLIES 11

This an update:

Factory reset the Pro-1000
Recalibrated the color on the printer itself
Did test print and patter check, correct colors

From my production laptop:
Updated windows
Deleted the printer drivers
Deleted all color management (Display Cal)
Deleted all ICC profiles
Downloaded the latest software and drivers

Took an image, converted to black and white
Desaturated and set vibrance to zero
Sampled the color and PS said is 211, 211, 211 (light grey)
Assigned Adobe RGB to the image
Color proofed using Canon Fine Art Smooth
Disabled color profiling in the driver - set to none
Let PS manage color and set Canon Fine Art Smooth as the profile to use

211, 211, 211 (light grey) printed tan / Sepia

Turned off color profiling on the printer and got the same results. Tan / Sepia

Tried changing color balance in PS reducing red and increasing cyan and printed with the same results.

Setup color profile in the print driver and set PS to let the printer to manage colors. Printed tan / sepia.

Frustrated I dragged out an old laptop running Windows 10, which can't be upgrated to Windows 11 due to not having updated hardware. Running old PS 6. Removed all calibration and printer profiles. Installed the latest drivers. Ran the same tests. 211, 211, 211 (light grey) printed tan and sepia.

Thinking it was my file. I downloaded a calibration greyscale print from the web that everyone uses. It printed tan / sepia.

I transfered both test files to my cell phone and printed (via wifi same method used from my laptop), low and behold, grey was grey and not tan / sepia. Tested a color image from my phone, no color cast.

I mean the last extreme thing I can do is dual boot into Linux and test printing from linux using Gimp or something similar.

The only thing I haven't done is see if I can rollback the firmware on the printer. Not even sure thats possible.

If anyone has 2 cents they'd like to share, I'm 100% open to it.

@kngdmond, The only success I've had to remove the color cast is to let the printer manage the colors.  I thought the printer calibration might have something to do with it but I still get the "sepia" tone over the image.   

Announcements