cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pro 10 connecting to a router

ceb39usa
Contributor

Anyone found the secret to making a Pro 10 talk to a Netgear 80 router?

Thanks

Chuck

5 REPLIES 5

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

You may need to download the Canon "IJ Network Tool".

If you connect the printer to the computer via USB and run the IJ Network tool, you can use that to configure WiFi & Ethernet connections.  (then disconnect the USB once the printer is on the network.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Hi

Thank you for the advice and help.  Was able to get the print up and running finally.  Will have to say the instructions I received from you were better than from Canon.  Will use the same instructions to install the software on my lap top.

The is going to be to install the software on my wife's MAC.  It does not have a CD drive.  Assume I will have to download the software then run it.

One thing I notice about this printer.  In its fastest mode, it is not as fast as the Epson 1430.  But at least red is coming out red and not maroon.

Thanks

Chuck

Have just connected my laptop to the PRO-10. Not quite certain how I did it, but it is working via wireless. I downloaded some software programs, but not certain I download all I need.

On my desk top screen there is a number of icons in the lower right corner of my screen. They are all related to various Canon software's. Learning to use them.

These icons do not appear on my lap top screen. I have an idea they are not there because when I load some of the Canon programs on my lap top I did it from a Canon site, not the CD which came with the printer. Reason for not using the CD, it is because it is some where safe and secure and I do not know where that place is. Do you know the software I should download to get those icons on the screen of my lap top?

Thanks

Hello.

Installing the My Printer, My Image Garden and Quick Menu programs should add the icons that you are referring to.  Visit the following link to access the downloads:

PIXMA PRO-10 Drivers & Downloads

This didn't answer your question or issue? Find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Once the printer is configured to join your network (via the IJ Network Tool) then any computer on that same network should be able to find it and add it to the printer list.

One word of caution since you have a Mac.

By default, the Mac will add the printer as an "Airprint" printer.  The more robust printing interface is called "CUPS"  (Common Unix Printing System).  

If the printer is configured as a CUPS printer, then apps on your Mac will be able to use all features of the printer.  If it is installed as an Airprint printer then you'll only see basic capabilities.

On the Mac, open "System Preferences", then select "Printers & Scanners"

You should see a list of printers that you've previously configured.  If you have already added the "Canon PRO-10 series" then highlight that entry.  In the part of the window on the right, you'll see "Kind:".   It should read "Canon PRO-10 series" (that's the name it will default to ... but you can override that name with any name you choose).   If you see the word "Airprint" in that field (e.g. "Canon PRO-10 series Airprint") then you are NOT using a CUPS driver and wont be able to use all features of the printer.  If it is installed as an "Airprint" printer then you probably want to delete the printer from your list (highlight the printer in the list, then click the "-" sign below the list of printers).

Click the "+" sign below the list of printers to add a new printer definition (you may have to click the padlock icon and type your user password to be allowed to add a printer).

You'll get a pull-down menu with a top choice that reads "Add Printer or Scanner".  You want that choice.  

Be WARNED... you will ALSO see a choice that says "Canon PRO-10 series"... this is Apple trying to make your life easy... but they will accept all defaults and the default is to use "Airprint" (which you do not want to use because it limits the functionality of the features.)  So take the longer choice which is "Add Printer or Scanner".

In the new window that opens, on the "Default" tab, you'll see a list of printers it detects on the network.

You may see TWO entries for the same printer... one has a "Kind" of "Bonjour" and the otehr may have a "Kind" of "Canon IJ Network".  

Pick the one that says "Canon IJ Network" (technically you can pick the one that says Bonjour... more on that in a moment).

You should see a name filled in below (Probably "Canon PRO-10 series" but it will put number "2" behind it if you left the original print definition in to denote that this is the 2nd definition for the printer).  

The ALL IMPORTANT FIELD is where you see the word "Use:"  Make sure the value is "Canon PRO-10 series" (it's a pull-down menu) and NOT the word "Airprint".

If you had selected the "Bonjour" printer (which you can do), then the "Use:" choice will DEFAULT to "Airprint" but you CAN change it back to "Canon PRO-10 series".  That will force it to use the CUPS printer driver that Canon provided instead of built-in Airprint driver which is generic and doesn't know how to use all the features of the printer.

That's all the important stuff.

You may be thinking "yeah, but I still want to be able to print from my phone or iPad and that requires Airprint"

You can still do that.

"Airprint" leverages an Apple feature called "Bonjour".  Bonjour is a zero-configuration network protocol.  In other words... each device that knows how to speak "Bonjour" will "advertise" its presence on the network.    If you use your phone and want to send something to a printer (any printer) ... the phone will check the network to see if any "Bonjour" devices are advertising themselves as printers (Bonjour handles all kinds of devices... not just printers).  The phone can auto-detect the device and it'll show up in a list.  You don't have to formally "configure" a printer to your iPhone or iPad... they are auto-detected on-the-fly without any configuration at all.  That's the good part... the bad part is that anything using them is using a very generic "Airprint" driver... not a device-specific driver.  So all it knows is that it has a "printer" ... it doesn't know what the specific features are of that printer.    If you need to print something simple... a document, an email, etc. it's generally all you really need.  If you want to take advantage of special features... then you need a device-specific driver (which Canon provides).

The Canon PRO-10 is an "Airprint" printer.  It will still advertise its presence on your network via the Bonjour protocol and Airprint compatible devices can still use it.    But for your Mac to be able to take advantage of it's advanced features... you need to use the Canon-provided CUPS driver.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements