cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printing beyond art paper borders

nvw
Enthusiast

Hello,

I am using a Pro 10 on a Mac with Capture One. I am trying to make a B&W print on Moab Entrada Bright 190 paper, printing for a frame with a mat opening of about 9.5" x 8". 

I have read through this forum on how to get past the art borders however I am having a problem accomplishing this and still get a good print. I am able to get a print with my required dimensions by:

1. Setting the color profile to Managed by Printer in Capture One's print settings
  2. Choosing US Letter under Paper Handling >> Destination Paper Size
  3. Selecting Media Type >> Matte Photo Paper (i.e. not art paper)

Matte photo paper I thought would be closest to the Entrada which is a rag paper.

My print is close to the dimensions I need but the problem is the quality of the print is poor, very washed out. I am assuming this is because the media type is wrong.

I was able to get a print with the correct dimensions using Canon Pro Luster (isn't that art paper too?).

Can someone suggest better settings so that I can print with the dimensions I need and use the correct media type? I have tried various combinations including Letter Borderless, using the ICC profile for Entrada and some other combinations.

Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Screenshot 2020-09-29 145805.jpg

Since Moab could have selected Photo Paper Pro Premium Matte and didn't I would agree that selecting Matte Photo Paper would not be the best choice.

I don't have a Pro-10, so I can't personally verify, but it is my understanding that the Pro-10 doesn't utilize all the black inks unless the fine art paper selctions are being used. If you print a color image using the same paper and settings do you get a good image?

All you can do is try the various non-fine art paper choices and see what does the best job. Luster is not a fine art paper; in the Canon world fine art papers are heavy weight papers that need to be fed through the manual feed tray. 

Do you have larger paper that you could trim down?

Maybe Rick (shadowsport) will see this and provide more guidance.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks John, I thought of printing on larger paper but it felt like a hack rather than a solution. I guess that's the way to do it.

Michael

Announcements