cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma Pro 100S on Mac Mini M1 (Monterey)

Delange
Contributor

Hello,

I recently bought a Mac Mini M1. It is running Monterey OS.

I downloaded the latest driver from the Canon website, which sais it is compatible with Monterey.

Unfortunatly, I can't get the printer to print. The driver shows the ink levels so it is communicating well with the printer. ANd when I send a print job to the printer, the white LED is blinking like normal. But the printer never prints.

The printer is connected though Ethernet and works fine when printing from a Windows computer.

Is there a known issue with this?

What can I do to resolve this? 

Thank you!

13 REPLIES 13

Hi Gadsbys,

The issue is that nor Apple, nor Canon are replying to my cry for help. They just don't seem to care. We need to remember that when we need to buy new products!

Anyway, there is a FB group that pointed me to PrintFab. They have a printer driver that works on Windows and Mac. I have installed their driver and it works very well. The only drawback is that it costs 60$, which I find rather expensive for a driver. But at least, this presented me with a working solution. PrintFab offers a 30 day trial period. Here's the link to their website: PrintFab | Printer Driver & RIP for Mac 

ippoippo
Apprentice

It's really quite ridiculous.

The first Apple Silicon Dev machines came out not long after June 2020. The first "production" M1 Apple Silicon machines went on sale November 2020, with M1 Pro/Max in October 2021.

MacOS Monterey came out in October 2021.

Version 16.50.0.0 of the CUPS driver came out in October 27th 2021, and it's now nearly three months later!

I've confirmed the same problem.

My personal machine is a M1 Max, running MacOS 12.1 (Monterey). Using the CUPS driver, no applications at all can print. Only the "head clean", "test page" etc options in the Printer System System preferences work.

Using my work machine (an Intel, running MacOS 12.1), I was able to do a test print of a PDF from Apple's Preview app. [Assumption is, other apps are working too], via the CUPS driver.

I was already frustrated that for the last few years I can't scan (via software/TWAIN driver on Mac), from my old Canon MultiPurpose printer scanner (about 2013 model). Only way I can scan is via SD card, and manually copy of files. Annoying, but workable.

But, now, given the lack of fixes for this issue, I'm seriously reconsidering giving any more money to Canon. If we see no fix in the next few months, I'll be offloading my Pro-100S to someone else and buying from an alternative manufacturer.

Sensel
Contributor

This will likely not help you at all but I had my 100 in mothballs and just got it up and running on latest Monterey on M1 Mini (clean install, no migration). I have it on Wi-Fi. I updated the firmware (via USB). I made sure to install the Canon drivers. Use only the IJ driver. Do not install or use the Bonjour! Canon does not make it easy to distinguish them.

Be sure to use the ICC profile for your paper. Canon profiles have numbers with them. These are paper versions. So an older paper might be 1 or 1/2. Newer 3.

I print from Capture One Pro. So far, great. But, the software should not matter. (Except Nikon NX Studio does not print right at all.)

Actually did help, probably.

Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but I want to provide an update.

I resolved the issue and can print successfully with my Canon Pro-100S, via the IJ (CUPS) drivers on my M1(-max) Mac.

I did the following:

- Perform a firmware update via USB connection.

- Deleted ALL printers from the System Preferences.

- Added the Printer back with IJ/CUPS drivers, being very careful to choose the 'PRO-100S' option (I have a sneaky suspicion the older drivers said "PRO-100"  ??

Announcements