cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PRO 100S Print Colors not as vibrant as Screen?

PhilAJ
Apprentice

I'm not long bought a PRO 100S printer - and using Lightroom & Photoshop on PC. Doing most editing in PS but then doing the actual Print in LRoom.

I have calibrated my monitors - and images look good and vibranton screen, but when I come to print they tend to be darker and quite dull.

I've tinkered with all sorts of settings and am now confused as to what to do

Can anyone give me a suggested workflow or settings that would provide the prints to be looking like the image on screen.

Thanks
Phil

5 REPLIES 5

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

In order to determine what is "truth" you need to print a test image. A common answer to "my prints are too dark" is "the monitor is too bright". The monitor can be calibrated but too high a luminance value was selected.

The image many recommend is the Outbackphoto test print.

That website has now gone dark. Here is a link to the image that I have:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApNpngg2Z6dbhIYEVaNQBuYp2nUaWg?e=c37ENj

Download the test image and open it LrC. Do not make any adjustments to the image, regardless of how it looks to you on the display.

Print the image and see how it looks; report back.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks so much John. 

I've downloaded and printed.

It is certainly darker than on screen. The small squares at bottom - on the screen the 243 square equates to about 249/250 on the print.

I tried to then lower the monitor brightness to be same as print, but I would need to go below the 0 level to get near.

Phil

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Hi Phil.

Putting aside that it is darker than the screen, is it an acceptable print in the viewing conditions you would normally be viewing it under?

You have the capability in the printer driver to bias the baseline printer settings.

Screenshot 2022-03-27 143246.jpg

You can then save a preset that you could use to print.

Screenshot 2022-03-27 143348.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Ah ok. I found those settings but didn't want to have to set 

Found those settings but didn't want to have to set every time. If they can be saved that might do the job. I'll try to do some adjustments.

Thank you for your help.

Announcements