cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Color accuracy

DallasXanadu
Contributor

I've been playing around with my Pro-100 and Pavilion 32Q LCD monitor. I've used the Windows 10 calibration tool and a couple of others I've found online, but I'm having trouble getting accurate color reproduction on prints. Blues in particular come out considerably darker on paper than they appear on screen. Is there a good tutorial on here for helping get my colors consistent across my system?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I always use ICC profile method, whether I'm using Canon paper or third party papers.

I tend to believe that settings/things that say "PRO" generally aren't the best choice.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Typically the reason prints look dark is that monitors are too bright.

Here is a good guidance document:

http://www.outbackphoto.com/printinginsights/pi049/essay.html

I suggest:

1. Reset monitor to factory settings then set monitor brightness and contrast to 50%

2. Run a nozzle check on the printer just to be sure verything is OK.

3. Download the TIFF test image from the above website

4. Open the file in your photo software.

5. Without making any adjustments to the on-screen image print the image.

6. How does the print look? See the various discussions in the web article.

7. Assuming the printed image looks good, which it always does when I have been doing this, adjust monitor brightness to be close to print appearance.

Monitor will almost always look a little "better" since it is backlit versus reflected light, but you should be close.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

I've been using the Print Studio Plug-in. What do you recommend under "color mode"? Isee ICC Profile and PRO mode.

I always use ICC profile method, whether I'm using Canon paper or third party papers.

I tend to believe that settings/things that say "PRO" generally aren't the best choice.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

That's what I've been going with, as I generally use an assortment of Canon paper. I followed your instructions, the test print came out looking pretty awesome. Thanks! David

Announcements