cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon w6400 ink situation

dimitrios
Apprentice

Hi, I bought a second hand Canon w6400 printer in nice condition.

I bought and installed new cartridges, printed a couple of fotos, maybe like 5 photos, very nice.

Then I got "maintenance cartridge full" error.

Fine, I bought a new one.

Then I print one image, and the printer had to "fill the inkhead with ink" it took like ages, so much so, that it basically sucked all of my new ink cartridges out.

Question is: I am scared to buy ink again, to 1 letter size print and that the printer basically will suck all the ink out.

Is this normal? Do I not need to worry, just buy the ink, install and i should be able to print as normal?

I don't want to be buying 6 cartridges at $80 a pop and then have the printer suck it all out before I even got 1 print out

2 REPLIES 2

catlecat
Apprentice

Replacing the maintenance cartridge is normal. They apparently did not go through this section before selling it to you. However, it sounds like they put in a new print head, yeah for you. That is normal. You should be able to take off and conduct business like usual now. Go for it. Your past the hard stuff and off to a good start if they did take care of the printhead. You might call the seller to ask that of them. Filling the ink in the head is going to be normal, but you don't change the head for awhile up to years depending on how much you use the printer. The maintenance tank will be changed more often.

catlecat, thanks for this reply, that's comforting to know.

Yes, they did indeed replace the printhead, as I got a box with the printer, with the old printhead in the plastic packaging, so that is indeed a new one went in.

The maintenance tank was very full when i took it out.

Announcements