cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Pixma Pro 9000

Margaret3
Contributor

Looking for a driver so this photo printer will work with Mac OS Catalina.  Has anyone found a driver?

19 REPLIES 19

@laiyeelee wrote:

Have you found the driver outside of Canon?  I feel the same way about the priinter.  I love it but no driver!?.  Does anyne know why no dirver?  What else can we (all printer owners) do?

Thanks to robnich, Margaret3, and laiyeelee for responding to my query.  My problem is solved, but you may not like my solution.

Long, long story (sort of) short ... I updated my MacOS from High Sierra to Big Sur because PhotoShop 5.3 did not support the camera raw files of my new Olympus camera.  It would require a patch that required an updated MacOS.  The Big Sur readme said Bridge would not be supported, but did NOT say PhotoShop would not be.  Must have been an oversight, because PS 5.3 is not supported.  I like PS 5.3 and don't want to go to the current subscription model PS.

I opted to recover to a backup, where Pixma Pro9000 and PS5.3 both work.  The recovery was complicated by the fact that Apple had changed the file system between High Sierra and Big Sur so that the old backup files were not readable by the new recovery programs.  Apple Level 1 support was no help, but Level 2 walked me through the process over approximately 8 hours of chat + phone time.  So now I'm back at High Sierra, with a working printer.

PS 5.3 still can't read my camera raw files, but Olympus Workspace can.  PS 5.3 can read Olympus Workspace's tiff exports, so I'm back in business.  If your Mac came with an OS later than 10.13, or maybe 10.12, the easiest solution is Margaret3's and robnich's - replace the printer.

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Margaret3,

The last version of Mac OSX that the PIXMA Pro9000 was supported with was Mac OSX v10.9.  The PIXMA Pro9000 is not supported with newer versions of OSX. You are eligible for Canon's Upgrade Program.  This is for out of warranty units which have been diagnosed to require service, or for some reason are incompatible with a new or upgraded system.  This option allows you a one-time opportunity to purchase a replacement product, discounted from the list price.

To help you get up and running quickly, we also offer free standard shipping (if the order is completed by 12:30PM ET).  If you would like to take part in this option, please call our Sales Department at (866) 443-8002 seven days a week, 8am to Midnight.  Let them know you have been working with technical support and the Canon Upgrade Program was offered.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I have the same problem of needing a driver for my Pixma Pro 9000 Mk II for MacOS 11.2 (Big Sur).  Will there be a 64-bit

driver for this printer?

mchasty1
Apprentice
I have searched everywhere for a driver and been unsuccessful. I have repeatedly reviewed Canon all negatives in every forum i can find as my printer worked great and was in great shape until this major lack of support.

Thanks for your response.   Yeah, still grieving this.  Love the printer...hate the lack of Canon Support!

AZflowers
Apprentice

Hi All. My Pro 9000 still works great on my Windows 10 machine, but not on my Mac on Big Sur os.  It's an Apple/Canon thing. Sooo disappointing. Adobe does the same thing with my Lightroom v. 5.7 and Photoshop CS 5.

Which driver do you use with the Pro9000 on your Windows 10 machine? I never could find a Canon driver that worked with my Pro9000 so I replaced it with a Pixma Pro-100.

Robert N.

AZflowers
Apprentice

Rob, tell me where to look for the driver info. Thanks

Settings/Devices/Printer & Scanners

You should see your Pro9000 drivers listed.

AZflowers
Apprentice

OK. Well, under Print Driver Properties:

Driver Name:      Canon Pro9000

Driver Type:        Type 3 - User Mode

Driver Version:    2.23.2.20

Announcements