cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Pixma Pro 9000

Margaret3
Contributor

Looking for a driver so this photo printer will work with Mac OS Catalina.  Has anyone found a driver?

19 REPLIES 19

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

If I recall correctly, Canon has already said it will not be releasing a Catalina specific driver for the 9000.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks....love the printer....hate that it has just been made obselete.....was hoping someone outside of Canon had

made a fix.

Have you found the driver outside of Canon?  I feel the same way about the priinter.  I love it but no driver!?.  Does anyne know why no dirver?  What else can we (all printer owners) do?

Looks like all Canon is offering is a "discount" on a new printer.   I think I'm going with an Epson photo printer product instead.  I hate that a perfectly good printer is deemed garbage because they want to sell you a new one rather than offer an upgrade to make it compatible with Catalina and beyond.   But then, the computer manufacturers are doing the same to us.  

I like the fact that Epson is making some "supertank" printers so at least the ink will be less expensive (EcoTank Photo ET-8500).  Not so with the Pixma Pro series......

The Canon Pixma Pro9000 was introduced 14 years ago, in 2007. It was a wonderful printer and I owned and used it for about 10 years without problems. Unfortunately the driver no longer worked with the latest operating systems, including Windows 10 and the current MacOS. I wasn't happy with that fact and struggled for a while with using a version of the Windows 7 driver that some people online said worked but ultimately that didn't work either, so I adjusted to reality and got a new printer.

I got a Pixma Pro-100 which is a better printer and cost me only $141 after a $250 rebate from Canon and an $9 rebate for *Free* shipping (never understood why I got that) plus 50 sheets of 13x19  Canon Photo Paper! I was certainly lucky to get that incredible bargain.

Products are not supported forever. Even Windows 7, still used by more than 100 millon people, is no longer supported by Microsoft. All one can do is get a new printer. With luck Canon may reintroduce the generous rebates of the past before too long.

Robert N.

Thanks for this info!  Will look at the Pixma Pro 100

I am afraid it is too late to get a Pro-100 at a reasonable price. It has been discontinued and replaced with the Pixma Pro-200. There are a few new Pro-100 printers available, but at stratospheric prices. The original list price was $399 but now outlets are asking up to $1000 or more for a new Pro-100. Amazon has one left at $887! Sorry about that. The Pro-200 lists for $599 and is likely to be an improvement over the Pro-100 but I have no experience with it.

Robert N.

Thanks to robnich, Margaret3, and laiyeelee for responding to my query.  My problem is solved, but you may not like my solution.

Long, long story (sort of) short ... I updated my MacOS from High Sierra to Big Sur because PhotoShop 5.3 did not support the camera raw files of my new Olympus camera.  It would require a patch that required an updated MacOS.  The Big Sur readme said Bridge would not be supported, but did NOT say PhotoShop would not be.  Must have been an oversight, because PS 5.3 is not supported.  I like PS 5.3 and don't want to go to the current subscription model PS.

I opted to recover to a backup, where Pixma Pro9000 and PS5.3 both work.  The recovery was complicated by the fact that Apple had changed the file system between High Sierra and Big Sur so that the old backup files were not readable by the new recovery programs.  Apple Level 1 support was no help, but Level 2 walked me through the process over approximately 8 hours of chat + phone time.  So now I'm back at High Sierra, with a working printer.

PS 5.3 still can't read my camera raw files, but Olympus Workspace can.  PS 5.3 can read Olympus Workspace's tiff exports, so I'm back in business.  If your Mac came with an OS later than 10.13, or maybe 10.12, the easiest solution is robnich's - replace the printer.

Thanks to robnich, Margaret3, and laiyeelee for responding to my query.  My problem is solved, but you may not like my solution.

Long, long story (sort of) short ... I updated my MacOS from High Sierra to Big Sur because PhotoShop 5.3 did not support the camera raw files of my new Olympus camera.  It would require a patch that required an updated MacOS.  The Big Sur readme said Bridge would not be supported, but did NOT say PhotoShop would not be.  Must have been an oversight, because PS 5.3 is not supported.  I like PS 5.3 and don't want to go to the current subscription model PS.

I opted to recover to a backup, where Pixma Pro9000 and PS5.3 both work.  The recovery was complicated by the fact that Apple had changed the file system between High Sierra and Big Sur so that the old backup files were not readable by the new recovery programs.  Apple Level 1 support was no help, but Level 2 walked me through the process over approximately 8 hours of chat + phone time.  So now I'm back at High Sierra, with a working printer.

PS 5.3 still can't read my camera raw files, but Olympus Workspace can.  PS 5.3 can read Olympus Workspace's tiff exports, so I'm back in business.  If your Mac came with an OS later than 10.13, or maybe 10.12, the easiest solution is Margaret3's and robnich's - replace the printer.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements