cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Pixma Pro-100 prints very dark

nsrkb
Contributor

I see that this is a recuring problem with the Canon Pixma Pro-100, but as nothing I have found online helps I'm asking and are hoping that someone can solve this problem for me.

Just picked up a Pixma Pro-100 today, and installed it on my 2011 iMac 27" (Yosemite) with downloaded drivers from Canon's website to be sure i have the latest ones. I also checked the printers firmware but that's the latest at 1.100. Wether I'm printing via Lightroom or Photoshop; or via Canon Print Studio Pro, My Image Garden, or via LR / PS directly; with- or without PS as color manager; the prints turns out to be much to dark.

I have to set an exposure of +2/3 in LR to be anywhere close to getting the same result as on the screen. I'm also careful to select the right ICC profiles for the correct paper. My monitor is calibrated with an Spyder4pro and I also re-calibrated it during this process to see if that helped.

Well. Long story short; the prints are to dark. So i borrowed my wife's 2013 MacBook Pro (Yosemite) Spyder4pro, and installed the latest drivers from Canon. Again; on this machine the prints are also to dark with about +2/3 to correct for the printer to do something that looks like the monitor. Both monitors are also set to about 30% brightness.

I also have access to an Epson Stylus Photo R3000 and the prints from this comes out much brighter.

Sadly I see that many others also have the same problem. So; here's the question. How do I fix this? Do i have to return the printer again and get a refund? Because this is clearly not good enough.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thank You for Your answers. But sadly i have "been there, done that" on all of Your advices.

I'm returning the printer on Monday and are replacing it with an equal printer from Epson as i have only good experiences with that brand and the prints i get without using hours tinkering settings.

This was my first (and last) Canon printer.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

I bought the Canon Pro-100 too about two months ago. I am having the same problems you wrote into this forum about. I am wondering if you were ever able to conquer the issue of the dark photos? Did you return the printer?

Thank

Sue

Hi Sue. So we can assist you better, are you saying:

1. you tried the recommended advise and it didn't work for you or

2. are you asking if the advise worked for the others before you spend time trying it?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Hi John

I calibrated my monitor and I also followed your suggestion to make sure that the printer

doesn’t have any preferences or presets enabled. 

I did see a little bit of an improvement at that point but it is still a far cry from the quality

Of the prints I got from my Canon i9900. Is this because this is a cheaper printer? 

I don’t recall ever having any of these issues with my i9900.

I use more than PhotoShop for printing. I also print from Illustrator and InDesign because

many times there is text involved. My images get placed into those programs.

Thanks

Sue

Hi Sue. Have you tried to print the test image? Have you tried printing in Photoshop using Canon Print Shop Pro?

If you can't get it to print right for you call the Canon phone support line. I have used the email and phone support and have gotten prompt effective response.

The Pro-100 is an excellent printer. Have Canon get it right for you.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Hi John

You know, I adjusted the paper settings in the print settings dialogue box

and the print is the best Ive seen yet. Much closer to what I am viewing on screen.

Thans for all your advice

Sue

That's good news.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements