cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Print Studio Pro - Support for Apple's Universal coding (native Apple Silicon support)

ceputnam
Apprentice

Are there any indications when Canon will release an Apple Universal/native Apple Silicon version of Print Studio Pro?

1 REPLY 1

rs-eos
Elite

I don't have an answer, but Apple will not be supporting Intel applications via Rosetta 2 forever.

For the initial version of Rosetta which was used during the transition from PowerPC processors to Intel, here was the timeline:

• 2005 - Transition to Intel announced (plan to migrate all Macs to Intel estimated to be 2 years)
  • 2006 - First Intel Macs ship (Rosetta is used to still run PowerPC applications)
  • 2007 - Last version of Mac OS X to run on PowerPC
  • 2011 - Support for Rosetta is dropped (Mac OS X 10.7 - Lion)

So Rosetta spanned 5 years.

If the same holds true for Rosetta 2:

• 2020 - Transition to Apple Silicon announed and first Apple Silicon Mac ships (also planned to be 2 years to migrate all Macs; but 3 years was the actual)
  • 2023 - All Macs now on Apple Silicon
  • ??? - Support for Rosetta 2 is dropped  (will this be 2025?)

Canon has to be aware of all of this.  Not sure why it's been a very slow transition of their software.

If I audit my Mac Studio for Canon software still on Intel, I see the following:

• EOS Lens Registration Tool - 1.17.1
  • EOS Network Setting Tool - 1.3.1
  • EOS Utility 3 - 3.17.2
  • EOS Web Service Registration Tool - 1.17.1
  • Couple read-me applications in /Canon Utilities/
  • Couple installers and uninstallers in /Library/Application Support/

You can see your own report by (instructions here are for macOS 13.x):

1. In Finder, select "About this Mac..."
  2. Click on "More Info..."
  3. Scroll to the bottom of the System Settings "About" panel and click on "System Report..."
  4. In the system report window, select "Applications" under the "Software" group.  Then, click on the "Kind" column to sort by it.  Look for items with a kind of "Intel".
--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers
click here to view the gallery
Announcements