cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phantom MF642 in Linux.

Bearymore
Apprentice

I installed my printer in Linux using the Linux UFRII 5.40 driver. After installing the driver, I used the cnsetuputil2 program to register the printer with CUPS. When I attempted to print, the printer asked for A4 paper instead of letter (I'm in the US and the documentation said letter should be the default). I went into CUPS to modify the printer and make letter the default. Now I have two printers. One is the one initially registered which shows up as "Canon-MF_642C_643C_644C and the other is the modified version which shows up as Canon-MF642C-643C-644c-UFRII. The second printer (ending in UFRII) has letter as the default paper, but it will not print. When I send a job to the printer, the green working light flashes for an instant and nothing happens. When I use the other printer (no UFRII) the printer will print, but only after I manually change from A4 to letter size paper. The no UFRII printer, MF_642C_643C_644C, does not show up either in the list of printers shown by the cnsetuputil2 program nor in CUPS nor in the CUPS configuration files. How do I get rid of it and get a printer that properly defaults to the letter size option?

2 REPLIES 2

Bearymore
Apprentice

Oh. Not only should it default to letter, but it should actually print which I forgot to mention.

Hector
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello Bearymore,

The MF642 is only supported with the Mac and Windows operating system. We do have Linus drivers on our website, but the drivers are there to be used as is and we do not have support for the installation or use of the drivers. In this situation I would suggest trying to remove all connections and reinstalling to see if the paper size is now set to letter or you can try saving the option for letter as a preset in your print window and using that option while printing.

Announcements