cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA MG5120 Driver Won't Detect Printer

TrevorC
Apprentice

MP Driver won't install because the printer doesn't connect.  Software hangs at "Please wait for a while until the printer is detected".  I can hear my PC when I plug/unplug the USB.  I can't install any other drivers until the MP driver is installed first.

3 REPLIES 3

Danny

Hi, TrevorC!

So that the Community can help you better, we need to know exactly which operating system is running on your computer (i.e. Windows or macOS, and which version thereof). That, and any other details you'd like to give will help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is a time-sensitive matter, click HERE search our knowledge base or find additional support options HERE.

Thanks and have a great day!

Windows 10 pro.  Canon suggest download: mp68-win-mg5100-1_02-ejs.exe.  Anywhere I can get just the INF?

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi TrevorC,

With your PIXMA MG5120 powered on and the USB cable connected, please follow these steps:

1.  On your computer, please press the Windows key on your keyboard and the letter R, then let both go.

2.  In the Run window that appears, please type DEVMGMT.MSC and click OK.

3.  In Device Manager, scroll to the bottom and click on Universal Serial Bus Controllers.

4.  If your Canon printer appears in the list under Universal Serial Bus Controllers, right click the printer and left click on Uninstall Device.  If it does not appear, please go to next step.

5.  Press the Windows key on your keyboard and the letter R, then let both go.

6.  In the Run window that appears, please type CONTROL and click OK.

7.  In Control Panel, click on View devices and printers.

8.  Right click the Canon MG5100 series and left click Remove device.  If you see "Multifunction printer" or something similar, please remove that as well.  Repeat until all MG5100's are removed from this window.

9.  Disconnect the USB cable and close the Printers window.

Next, please reinstall the driver.

Please do not reconnect the USB cable until prompted to do so during the installation.

When the installation is done and you have clicked "Complete", please attempt to print.

You are eligible for Canon's Upgrade Program. This is for out of warranty units which for some reason are incompatible with a new or upgraded system. This option allows you a one-time opportunity to purchase a replacement product, discounted from the list price.

If you would like to take part in this option, please call our Sales Department at (866) 443-8002 Monday through Saturday, 9am to 9pm. Let them know you have been working with technical support and the Canon Upgrade Program was offered.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements