cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moved my MX870 to new wireless network and cannot connect now

macuser321
Contributor

Hi - I had my MX870 on a Verizon wireless network and moved to a new network, Hitron Gateway. I can connect other devices wirelessly on this new network, cell phones, Firetv and computers. When I try to connect the MX870 I can see the new network, SSID. But when it tries to connect  to the access point it's unable to. There isn't any option to enter in the SSID password. I  reset the MX870 LAN settings and it didn't make any difference. In the Canon Network Setup Troubleshooting manual, page 12, it lists the steps to connect to an access point. Step 8 says to make sure the access point name is correct, which it is, then Step 9 is to enter in the security protocol, WEP, WPA. But I don't see the menu for Step 9. I connected the MX870 to Ethernet and can print there but I'd rather use wireless to be closer to where the computer is.

Any suggestions on what is going on and what to do ? TIA

7 REPLIES 7

mazzoladm
Contributor

I'm having the same issue! There's no place to update the password for the new router. Help!

Hi mazzoladm,

What model Canon printer do you own?

Who is the manufacturer of your router and what model number is it?

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

My printer is a Canon TS8120.

My router is TP-LInk AX5400 Wifi6 Dual Band Gigabit Router (Archer AX73). I set it up using the same network names as my previous router, but with new passwords and the new WPA2/WPA-3-Personal security protocols.

What if you try setting the same password you had on the previous network ? That way you will have the same network name and password as before.

They weren't very smart passwords; I don't want to sacrifice network security simply to get my printer to function. (Though it's crazy that a "simple" network change is making a high-quality Canon printer non-functional! 

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi macuser321,

When using a HITRON router, the only method of connecting your PIXMA MX870 would be to use the WPS method.

Please contact your router's manual or your internet service provider for assistance with enabling WPS on your router.

Once enabled, please use the link below and scroll to "2. Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS) Method" to view the steps to perform this set up:

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART137715

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

macuser321
Contributor

I was finally able to connect the MX 870 to the network. I called the internet provider and they said that some printers weren't able to be recognized and they did something on their end to enable the Hitron to see the printer. Once they did that the printer worked.

Announcements