cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF644Cdw - keeps changing networks

Sven62
Contributor

Recently every morning this printer is offline - actually it is online somewhere as it shows a completely different IP address not on our network. I can't find an On/Off switch so I just unplug/plug it. It then grabs our network and shows online and will print fine. Then the next morning...  same routine.

I am using Netgear Orbi wireless extenders and have been for over a year. This nonsense started about a week ago. 

Full disclosure - I did mess with the Orbi config a little. I changed the wireless channel, then changed it back. I messed with the Guest Network (though that is a completely different thing so I don't know why that would affect it). Anyway, the main network is now as it has been for the past year.

What I just now did was to update the printer driver to the current version. And I disabled the Guest Network.

We shall see.....

Anyone else have these problems?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Audrey
Enthusiast

Hi Sven62,

Welcome to The Canon Forums!

We appreciate your participation. Shadowsport is correct in setting up a Static IP Address for the printer.

Select <Menu> in the Home screen.

Select <Preferences> <Network>.

If the login screen appears, enter the correct ID and PIN.

Select <TCP/IP Settings> <IPv4 Settings> <IP Address Settings>.

Configure IP address settings.
<Manually Acquire> Select to configure the IP address settings by manually entering an IP address. In order to select this option, the automatic acquirement must be set to <Off>.

Select <Auto Acquire>, and select <Off> <Apply> <OK>.

Select <Manually Acquire>. Should show IP Address, Subnet Mask, Gateway Address

Enter <IP Address>  Change section four in the IP Address to any number over 100, for example, 192.168.1.201. It needs to be an address the router would not assign to another device.

Select <Apply>.

Select <OK>.

Restart the machine. Turn off the machine using the power button. Push power button again after 10 seconds.

Install the printer using iP address assigned in the printer or change the address in the printer driver.

If you continue to have difficulties, please contact our support group using the following link:

http://Canon.us/ContactLI

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

This is a very common and often true of any device and network when persistent devices suce as printers are not assigned or reserved an IP address.  The device becomes a moving target and the user is left to track it down and re-establish communication.

Go a head and power cycle the printer, and get it to reassociate (connect) to your network.  Once done, log into your Orbi's Admin Portal and look at Attached Devices under the Advanced tab.

Make a note of its IP and MAC Address.  Now return to the Advanced tab > and LAN menu option under the Set Up heading in the navigation pane.

Here you can reserve an IP by the devices MAC address.  You can use the one the Orbi has assigned, or one of your choosing.  One near the top or bottom of your DHCP pool usually works well.  Just a few clicks.  If you do assign another IP, you will need to power cycle the printer and confirm it receives the reserved address. 

Computer(s) - Uninstall the printer, restart and reinstall the printer with new coinfiguration.  The benefit of this.  You'll only have to do it once.  Moving forward you will always know the printer's IP.  It will not change regardless of when it was used last, turned off/on) etc.

Let us know how it goes.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Audrey
Enthusiast

Hi Sven62,

Welcome to The Canon Forums!

We appreciate your participation. Shadowsport is correct in setting up a Static IP Address for the printer.

Select <Menu> in the Home screen.

Select <Preferences> <Network>.

If the login screen appears, enter the correct ID and PIN.

Select <TCP/IP Settings> <IPv4 Settings> <IP Address Settings>.

Configure IP address settings.
<Manually Acquire> Select to configure the IP address settings by manually entering an IP address. In order to select this option, the automatic acquirement must be set to <Off>.

Select <Auto Acquire>, and select <Off> <Apply> <OK>.

Select <Manually Acquire>. Should show IP Address, Subnet Mask, Gateway Address

Enter <IP Address>  Change section four in the IP Address to any number over 100, for example, 192.168.1.201. It needs to be an address the router would not assign to another device.

Select <Apply>.

Select <OK>.

Restart the machine. Turn off the machine using the power button. Push power button again after 10 seconds.

Install the printer using iP address assigned in the printer or change the address in the printer driver.

If you continue to have difficulties, please contact our support group using the following link:

http://Canon.us/ContactLI

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Announcements