cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF Scan Utility does not list my imageCLASS MF232w

matte88
Apprentice

My MF232w is not listed as a printer I can seledt when I try to scan a document. The scan fails. I previously had an MF 242 installed but I removed it, but it still shows up as the only printer listed in the MF Scan Utility selection box. I can scan if I go to Devices and Printers and right-click on the MF 232w and select Start a Scan. I tried to install the latest version of MF Scan Utility but was unable to do so. I cannot get past the message "MF Scan Utility is running", which prevents me from uninstalling the old version, even after stopping the MF Scan Utility in Task Manager. I am running Windows 10 Home on a Dell Latitude Laptop and it and the MF 232w are both on the same network. How do I get the MF 232w to be recognized and work with the MF Scan Utility?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings matte88,

It sounds like you still have remnants of the old printer present on your system.  I think you have a little work ahead of you, but I believe we can help you resolve the issues you are having.

First a few questions:

Are you using wireless as the connection type for the new MF 232w?

Do you have any 3rd party anti-virus installed?  Something besides Windows Security which is included with windows?

Assuming the answer to the questions above are yes to #1 and no to #2 let's proceed.  If incorrect, let us know.

Start by opening Start menu > Settings > Control Panel > Device and Printers.

If any instances of the MF 242 still exist, right-click and select remove from the context menu. (example)

shadowsports_0-1716948675188.png

Also do so for the MF 232w.  Now return to Control Panel > Programs and Features.  Locate and remove (uninstall) all Canon Software for the printer(s).  New one, old one, all of it.  Look closely, there may be several.  

shadowsports_1-1716948861840.png

If you have any Canon Apps you have downloaded from the Microsoft Store, remove these as well.  You'll probably see these on your start menu if present.

Important Step: Restart your system.  

For your reference, here is a link to the support portal for your printer.  

Canon Support for imageCLASS MF232w | Canon U.S.A., Inc.

You need 2 installers to use the printer.  Download both, please do not run them yet

Here is the first one.

shadowsports_2-1716949731190.png

https://pdisp01.c-wss.com/gdl/WWUFORedirectTarget.do?id=MDEwMDAwNzcyMzAy&cmp=ABR&lang=EN

And the second one (Scan Utility)

shadowsports_3-1716949793688.png

https://pdisp01.c-wss.com/gdl/WWUFORedirectTarget.do?id=MDIwMDAwNjg2NTAz&cmp=ABR&lang=EN

Optional Step, but recommended.  Log in to your router.  Review the list of attached devices.  You should see your new printer and the IP address the router has assigned to is.  Reserve or assign this IP address as a static address to the printer.  Note this step only has to be done once. If you need help, ask.

Now power cycle the printer to ensure it gets the IP you have reserved for it on your network. You can then confirm its accessible by opening a web browser and entering its IP.  The printer's webserver should display.  Example, my printer's IP is 192.168.1.99

shadowsports_4-1716951959623.png

All good?  Proceed.  Run the first installer.  This will install the Print driver, Fax (optional) and ScanGear.  Note, you may see a prompt asking you to allow the installer to make changes to the windows firewall.  Say yes and allow this.  

Now run #2 The MF Scanning Utility.  When complete, you're ready to test Printing and Scanning.  Let us know the results.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings matte88,

It sounds like you still have remnants of the old printer present on your system.  I think you have a little work ahead of you, but I believe we can help you resolve the issues you are having.

First a few questions:

Are you using wireless as the connection type for the new MF 232w?

Do you have any 3rd party anti-virus installed?  Something besides Windows Security which is included with windows?

Assuming the answer to the questions above are yes to #1 and no to #2 let's proceed.  If incorrect, let us know.

Start by opening Start menu > Settings > Control Panel > Device and Printers.

If any instances of the MF 242 still exist, right-click and select remove from the context menu. (example)

shadowsports_0-1716948675188.png

Also do so for the MF 232w.  Now return to Control Panel > Programs and Features.  Locate and remove (uninstall) all Canon Software for the printer(s).  New one, old one, all of it.  Look closely, there may be several.  

shadowsports_1-1716948861840.png

If you have any Canon Apps you have downloaded from the Microsoft Store, remove these as well.  You'll probably see these on your start menu if present.

Important Step: Restart your system.  

For your reference, here is a link to the support portal for your printer.  

Canon Support for imageCLASS MF232w | Canon U.S.A., Inc.

You need 2 installers to use the printer.  Download both, please do not run them yet

Here is the first one.

shadowsports_2-1716949731190.png

https://pdisp01.c-wss.com/gdl/WWUFORedirectTarget.do?id=MDEwMDAwNzcyMzAy&cmp=ABR&lang=EN

And the second one (Scan Utility)

shadowsports_3-1716949793688.png

https://pdisp01.c-wss.com/gdl/WWUFORedirectTarget.do?id=MDIwMDAwNjg2NTAz&cmp=ABR&lang=EN

Optional Step, but recommended.  Log in to your router.  Review the list of attached devices.  You should see your new printer and the IP address the router has assigned to is.  Reserve or assign this IP address as a static address to the printer.  Note this step only has to be done once. If you need help, ask.

Now power cycle the printer to ensure it gets the IP you have reserved for it on your network. You can then confirm its accessible by opening a web browser and entering its IP.  The printer's webserver should display.  Example, my printer's IP is 192.168.1.99

shadowsports_4-1716951959623.png

All good?  Proceed.  Run the first installer.  This will install the Print driver, Fax (optional) and ScanGear.  Note, you may see a prompt asking you to allow the installer to make changes to the windows firewall.  Say yes and allow this.  

Now run #2 The MF Scanning Utility.  When complete, you're ready to test Printing and Scanning.  Let us know the results.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thank you so much for your insightful, helpful reply. I was able to easily follow your instructions. I was able to reinstall my printer, and the installer also asked me to install a V4 printer, so I did that one too, although I don't know what it is or does. The MF232w is now set as my default printer, and a test page printed successfully. I also was able to scan a document from my laptop, which was my original problem, so that's fixed. (I wasn't able to figure out how to reserve or assign the printer IP address on my AT&T modem, but that doesn't seen to be a problem) Thanks again for your help! 

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Thank you very much for your reply and feedback. Really glad to hear this fixed your issue.  Enjoy your new printer!

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements