cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installed new WiFi router; TR8520 finds router but does not display passphrase screen for setup

Alan-Editor
Contributor

Just bought an ARRIS WiFi router to replace old one. When I try the manual wireless setup (https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART173698), I do not get the passphrase field in step #8. I've tried every method I can find. The printer keeps trying to connect but fails. Any ideas? Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Alan-Editor
Contributor

I had a chat with Arris, who took me through the process of using the PIN method of connecting. All is well! I still don't understand why I never could enter the password from the printer, but it doesn't matter now. Thanks everyone!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Tiffany

Welcome to the forum!

So that the Community can help you better, we will need to know which version of Windows or macOS are you using? Do you connect to your printer using a USB cable or Wi-Fi?  Error messages? Any other details you'd like to give will only help the Community better understand your issue.  If this is a time-sensitive matter, click HERE search our knowledge base or find additional support options HERE

Thank you!

Hi Tiffany! Thanks for the welcome and the advice!

I am using an iMac on High Sierra v.10.13.6, connected to the TR8520, which is several years old. The printer was formerly connected via Wi-Fi to our old Arris router. The basic problem is that no matter what I read on the Canon site or what I try, including the W-Fi setup program, when I get to a certain point in trying to connect the printer to the router, it can find the router but tries to connect and cannot b/c I cannot enter the passphrase. There is no field in which to enter it. It just jumps to trying to connect. Does that help? Every other device I have is connected. Apparently, at one time, I was able to complete the process for the old router.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I reviewed the KB article you referenced and see you are using the printer's control panel for configuration.

Is the new router using the same SSID name as the old device?

If its dual band, does each broadcast have a unique name (example) my2.5 & my5G?

Does the router support WPA2 encryption and is that enabled?

The printer supports 2.4Ghz wireless and can only connect to a 2.4Ghz broadcast which uses WPA2 encryption.  If the router us using the same SSID name for all broadcasts this can confuse the printer.  Try using a unique name or temporarily disabling the %g broadcast until connection is made.  If the default encryption is WPA3, see if there is a WPA2 option.

Another possible solution.  You can run the Wi-Fi Connection Assistant.  This is specific for your MAC v10.13 High Sierra.

https://pdisp01.c-wss.com/gdl/WWUFORedirectTarget.do?id=MDIwMDAwNTI1OTEw&cmp=ABR&lang=EN  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hi Rick, Thanks for the help.

1. Different SSID from old device.

2. Yes, dual-band SSIDs are different and I tried them both.

3. It appears that the router uses mixed WPA2/WPA3 to support legacy units.

4. I tried the Wi-Fi Connection Assistant. The results are always the same: cannot connect to printer.

The bottom line is that the printer can find the router (2.4GHz) but will not show me the field in which to enter the password for the router. Instead of showing that, it tries to connect to the router and cannot because it won't show me the field to enter the passphrase/password. It is skipping that step, whether I do it manually or from the computer or using the Assistant.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Let's try this then:

Canon Knowledge Base - Reset Settings - TR7520 / TR8520

LAN settings only first, then reset all if still no joy.  Be sure to fully power off the device between attempts.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Still no success. I've installed the Connection Assistant several times, reset all the settings on the printer (the old router did disappear), tried manual connect a dozen times, turned everything off and on, and the Assistant fails to connect to the printer, and the printer never gives an option to enter the router's password. How would the computer connect to the printer with the Connection Assistant if the printer won't connect to the Wi-Fi?

Alan-Editor
Contributor

I had a chat with Arris, who took me through the process of using the PIN method of connecting. All is well! I still don't understand why I never could enter the password from the printer, but it doesn't matter now. Thanks everyone!

wattski
Apprentice

I've read through this thread and can't seem to find the solution using the PIN method.  I'm having the same problem and would like to fix it. Thanks

wattski, Does this link give you enough info to start?

https://ij.manual.canon/ij/webmanual/Tutorial/TS5100%20series/EN/TRL/trl-3000-b.html

Al

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements