cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon LaserBase MF5730 questions on network setup and Linux support

xbhy
Apprentice

Hello,

I have been asked to configure the Canon LaserBase MF5730 printer in a community center where several people will be accessing it from different computers. Please let me make sure that I understand a few things correctly and ask some follow up questions.

1) If the printer is connected to a router and there is no print server, the drivers must be installed on every computer that will be accessing the printer separately?

2) If there is a print server, the drivers are installed on the print server and other computers are connecting to the print server using a standard driver built in the operating system?

3) Could the print server run Linux? I have much more experience with Linux administration than with Windows. I understand that the CARPS printers were historically considered WinPrinters, but I found a seemingly functional Linux driver here: https://github.com/ondrej-zary/carps-cups. Can I use that for the print server?

Thank you very much

Petr

2 REPLIES 2

Danny

Thanks for joining the conversation, Petr!

We appreciate your participation, though we need to let you know that the Canon LaserBase family of printers is not supported by our team here at Canon USA as it isn't available in this country.  The Canon Community Forum is hosted and moderated within the United States by Canon USA. We are only able to provide support for Canon products manufactured for and used within the US market.

If you live outside the United States, please click HERE and select your country to find support in your part of the world.

Feel free to discuss Canon products sold outside of the United States, but please be aware that you will not receive support directly from Canon USA.

Thanks for choosing Canon!

normadel
Authority
Authority

1. Yes, without a print server each computer needs the driver installed for each printer.

2. The print driver(s) are installed on the print server, and the server is set to share the printer(s).

3. The print server can be a Linux machine, as long as there are Linux drivers for the printers you have.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements