cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Better scanner software than IJ Scan?

BruceBon
Contributor

I have, for years, used HP printers and I may have been spoiled by HP Scan, which is simple to use but quite effective for my purposes.  Specifically, it has the following capabilities that I use quite frequently, but which do not seem to exist in IJ Scan:

• Preview of the full scanned area, with easy drag interface to crop the image.  This makes it easy to scan odd sized things, such as ID cards, **bleep**, unusual photo sizes, etc.
  • Simple adjustments for brightness and contrast and 90-degree rotation, on a page by page basis.
  • Scanning of multiple page documents, one page at a time on the flatbed.  You simply click a plus icon to scan the next page.  Especially good for scanning articles in magazines or books.
  • Easy deletion of pages, e.g. a page accidentally scanned twice of a blank page in a multi-page document.

All of these capabilities are there before you save the scan as a document.  When you save the scan, you get a file dialog and name the file yourself, rather than having it saved as some formulaic name ("IMG" + suffix).  Of course, HP Scan allows you to control resolution, scan size, output type, etc, as does IJ Scan, and it even has an OCR scan, though I have never used that capability.

A little web search shows there are numerous programs that allow you to control scanning, but most of them are either far more complicated (with more capabilities) or are substantially expensive - usually both.

Can anyone suggest an alternative scanner app/program for Windows 10 that would have all the capabilities in my bulleted list above, but without going overboard on added features?  Doesn't have to be free, but I won't pay over $100 nor will I pay for a subscription.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Google VueScan

hamrickdotcom 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Google VueScan

hamrickdotcom 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

While I don't yet like it as well as the free and simpler-to-use HP Scan, VueScan seems to do the job and has a few extra features.  Thanks for the recommendation.

Announcements