cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please advise what to do with support code error 1660 - printer not recogniseing ink tank.

wendyg
Apprentice

Please advise what to do when printer will not print, and support Code error 1660 identifies an the error:  "The folloiwng ink tank can not be recognised".. [Also note:  I went out and purchased and installed a brand new Magenta ink tank and the error remains].

Assistance will be appreciated.

Thank you,

Wendy

24 REPLIES 24

Jason
Whiz

Hi!

To ensure the most accurate information is provided, we will need to know the printer model you are using.

If this is a time-sensitive matter, our US-based technical support team is standing by, ready to help 24/7 via Email at http://bit.ly/EmailCanon or by phone at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) weekdays between 10 AM and 10 PM ET (7 AM to 7 PM PT).

Thanks and have a great day!

Hi again ... My Canon printer is model # PIXMA MG5240.

My problem is an error message indicating 'Support code 1660 -The following ink tank can not be recognised" . 

The light on the first Ink cartridge [Magenta] is not lit up, and I even purchased a new magenta ink cartridge and replaced it - with no success.  The first light [on magenta cartridge] is still not lit, and the same error message is on the printer, allowing no printing.

Anticipating your reply with thanks,

Wendy

I have same problem with magenta and have tried 2 different cartfiges. What next?

Hi, 

the only solution I've found so far is 

Step 1: clean the contacts on the NEW cartridge and the contacts on the printer before placing the NEW cartridge in it; 

Step 2: NEVER stitch off the printer.  Mine is always on standby; 

Sadly that's the only solution that's working for me so far and Canon clearly doesn't deem to look into the matter or ever provide a clear explanation. I wonder if they ever read the posts here or at least cares about it!!!

Cannon Maxify MB2720

Error Code 1660

Will not let me ise blue tab to eject cartrige. Tried pushing it in furtere with thumb. Still have code - will not print

Ramona
Authority

Hi wendyg,

Please remove and reseat all of the ink tanks and print head in the printer to see if this will allow the magenta ink tank to light up.  Next, please turn off the printer, unplug the power cord from the back and leave it out for at least 10 minutes, then plug it back in and turn it back on.  If the ink lamp for the magenta ink still does not light, the printer will require servicing.  Please call or email us at one of the methods on the Contact Us page to obtain your servicing options.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hi, 

Refer to previous posts, note that I'm having similar issue for a Canon MX924 and this happened since the first day i bought the printer.  Here's the sequence: 

1. Set printer with Origina Canon Cartridges for the MX924 All in one Printer; 

2. Printing works fine; 

3. Switch off printer after printing (Press on ON Button); 

4. Switching back printer on, Printer displays error code 1660; 

5. Magenta cartridge not recognised (be advised that it was the Original Cartridge that came along the printer on day one of purchase);

6. Removed and replaced the cartridge back and it works fine as long as the printer is not switched off.

7. When there's power cut, same issue appears and it's been over a year now and other than keeping my printer ON (standby mode) I don't have any other solution... so long for Energy Efficiency. 

So Canon what's the issue here and why does this issue keeps on poping up when the printer is switched off? 

Note:

a) ONLY Original Canon Cartridges are used; 

b) Irrespective of an empty of full cartridge the problem still persists; 

c) The printer is checked for firmware updates on a Monthly basis.

Further to my posting about the Error Code:1660

I sent a 'detailed' message to the Canon Printer Centre of Excellance in the US. With all their years of experience and training and after thoughtful consideration I had a reply that said to take it to a Canon Service Centre - Really! Man Sad

I did manage to contact a Canon agent, who is over 100 miles away and he was very helpful although he is mostly sales.

The Error Code:1660

• If not a bad contact on the print tank base (dirty contact or bent pin), then it is almost certain to be due to a problem with the print head
  • He quoted 120 Euro (138US$) for a replacement!!
  • His other piece of very useful information, which I have seen posted on this sight previously - is that you should NEVER switch your printer off. Mine was switched off for 2 weeks while I was on holiday.

If you feel capable you can remove and clean the print head yourself - nothing to lose if its not working. There are plenty of videos on YouTube of how to do this.

I went into my local computer shop and was informed that they clean their print heads with local very potent alcohol! The drinking type.

My printer is now working - when I was entering the computer repair shop, the heavy glass door swung shut and gave it a mighty bang!Smiley LOL

My printers will now never be switched off.

darnelfab
Apprentice

Hi Janet, 

I would still refer to what I did earlier in the post: 

Step 1: clean the contacts on the NEW cartridge and the contacts on the printer before placing the NEW cartridge in it; 

Step 2: NEVER switch off the printer.  Mine is always on standby!

I've also observed that the "faulty" cartridge Red LED will always be dimmer than the "good" one and pressing a little more on it to ensure a better contact between the connectors will make the Red LED light at the same intensity as the other cartridges, and the "Error 1660" will not pop up at least for while. 

Hope these tips will help you out.  Sadly Canon has not acknowledged or provided any solution for the problem to my knowledge so far. 

Announcements