cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Powershot SD900 - battery issues

Nascarnbroncosf
Contributor

Powershot SD900 - battery issues.

Over the past 2 + years I have had this camera, it has taken near 10, 000 images and no issues period.

Seems it is now having battery issues.

I have went through several "new" batteries over the past 2+ years and just tossed them when they started to swell and went forward with new ones.

Brand new batteries when installed ....the camera still gives the message "Change the battery pack".

I have charged them as instructed for one whole day and then some.

I even have bought a new charger, to no avail.

I get one or two photos and then the message, "Change the battery pack". 

Is there a backup battery INSIDE the camera that needs replacing or removal to clear the camera message/reset the camera?

I tried a search on the Camera forum here about this and saw no results from the search. 

So I started this thread. Too many threads on the open internet with no answers, not to mention "ask" websites charging money for an answer which no one seems to know.

8 REPLIES 8

Mykolas
Authority

Nascarnbroncosf,

There is not a backup battery in the camera that would be causing this.  There is an internal power source, but it only provides enough power to keep the date/time saved in the camera.  It is not related to the issue you are experiencing.

It is very possible that there is a poor connection between the battery and the camera.  Try removing the battery, then using a soft microfiber cloth to clean the electrical contacts on the battery.  If possible, clean those inside the battery compartment as well.  If the message still displays, then your PowerShot SD900 will need to be repaired.

To start your repair process, you'll need to complete a Repair Request on our website.

I would like to make you aware of an alternative to having your camera repaired called the Canon Loyalty Program.  This program allows you to replace your current camera for a discounted fee, plus shipping.  The unit offered through this program carries a 90 day warranty.  The original non-functioning camera would then be returned to Canon USA for recycling using a prepaid shipping label that would be provided.

If you would like to take part in this option, please call our Sales Department at (800) OK CANON (800-652-2666) seven days a week, 8am to Midnight.  Let them know you have been working with online support and the Canon Loyalty Program was offered.  Be sure to have your serial number for your camera at the time of your call.

If this is a time sensitive-matter, additional support options are available at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

What does the repair vs replacement cost?

Thank you

Hi Nascarnbroncosf,

Unfortunately, the service life for this camera has expired, so repairs are no longer available.

For models and pricing for the Canon Loyalty Program, please call the Canon Sales Department at (800) OK CANON (800-652-2666) seven days a week, 8am to Midnight.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

then why even mention it repair options in the first place?

Hi Nascarnbroncosf,

We would like to apologize for the conflicting answers from our Product Experts. Upon further investigation, we have found that the Powershot SD900 is still being repaired by our Factory Service Centers. You can set the repair up online using the Request a Repair and the website will also give you an estimate of repair. If you are considering a new camera, you are able to take advantage of our Canon Loyalty Program. If you wanted to know what models are currently available, feel free to contact our friendly Canon Loyalty Program representatives at (800) OK CANON (800-652-2666) seven days a week, 8am to Midnight EST.

We hope this clears up any confusion.

Thank you.

Guys:

Thank you. I loved this camera. it has taken over 10,000 photos for high end diecast cars, car shows, SDCC for 3 + years and personal photos:

http://www.diecastramblings.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2198

http://www.diecastramblings.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2433

http://www.diecastramblings.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2192

I recently sold this on ebay and someone stated it does not work. I guess they could not read the description in plain english that it had battery issues.

I DO own and DID buy another Canon product. BRAND NEW SX160 IS. If that in itself is NOT loyalty, I do not know what is.

Is there an "guesstimate" on what this will cost to get repaired? I would hate to see this "junked"

P. S.: I wish someone could come up with a "fix" that it wouldn't be "depth blind" You look at some of those photos in the links provided, you will see what I mean.

Thanks guys.

Mykolas
Authority

Nascarnbroncosf,

Unfortunately, I we aren't able to provide estimates on behalf of the Factory Service Center.  The camera will need to be sent to them before they can provide you with an estimate.  Once you receive the estimate, you can approve or decline it.  If you decline it, the estimate does not cost anything and the Factory Service Center covers the cost of returning the camera to you.

If this is a time sensitive-matter, additional support options are available at Contact Us.

Not a time sensitive issue period. I was just hoping that this is/was a "plug the camera in the laptop", download this file (firmware upgrade/service patch) and be done with it. It looks as if there is a bunch of these SD900's with the same issue. Thanks again guys. I will be in touch when the camera gets back to my home.

The ebayer returned it regardless I stated NO RETURNS - NO REFUNDS

Just hate to see it junked is all.

Announcements