Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

PowerShot G5 X Firmware Update

[ Edited ]

Hello,

New forum user here.  Unable to find how to post a new message so I will reply to this discussion with my problem.

I recently purchased a new Cann G5X to serve as a backup to another much loved but beat-up G5X.  I quickly noticed that the new camera has far fewer options than the one I already had.  For example, the new G5X does not allow me to take photos in RAW.  It also does not have face recognition.

I strongly suspect that the firmware needs to be updated.  Following instructions on the Canon web site, I downloaded the new firmware, unzipped it and copied the .F12 file to a newly formated memory card.  I put the memory card in the newly purchased G5X and as instructed (https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART176714&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&search...) went to the Menu options under the wrench.  I look back and forth again and again.  However, I could not find any selection for Firmware.  It simply is not there.

Please tell me how can I update the firmware on this G5X.  Many thanks for your help.

P.S.  I figured it out!  I was able to successfully update the firmware on my new G5X.  The instructions link I porvided above is useless for the G5X.  I had failed to read and follow the very explicit installation instructions that came with the firmware update download.  Silly me!  :-)