cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1-2 second lag with SX280 HS

Opticist
Apprentice

My trusty SX280 HS has lately been exhibiting a prodigiously long lag when I press the shutter button – typically as long as 1-2 seconds, and more when I engage the flash. The camera appears to focus, as evidenced by the green rectangle in the center of the field, but then when I push the shutter button all the way down, it acts as though it is refocusing before it actually takes the exposure. I thought to replace or update the firmware, but the disk that came with the camera (Digital Camera Solution Disk, version 54.1) does not prompt me to connect the camera, and none of the downloaded programs seems appropriate, so I do not know how to install or reinstall the firmware. Has anyone any suggestions, either how to fix the shutter lag or how to reinstall the firmware?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes, the card was formatted in the camera - just not recently. I reset everything, including the time, date, and time zone. I understand about the micro-SD card; the link was very amusing. I usually get full-sized SD cards from Office Depot, not Amazon. Thanks for the advice!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Updating firmware is not a recommend solution for trying to fix abnormal or undesired behavior.  If the camera is malfunctioning, the following should be performed:

-Reset the camera to default settings

-Test with a known good quality, compatible, memory card formatted in the camera.

If the behavior persists, contact Canon for service.

Attempting to apply or update FW on a malfunctioning device might not end favorably.  

Notes on the latest FW and what it addresses:

"Shutter lag is not listed.

Firmware Version 1.0.2.0 incorporates the following fixes and improvements:

1. Increases the duration of movie shooting by 20% in cases where the optical zoom is used compared to cameras running Firmware Version 1.0.0.0 or Firmware Version 1.0.1.0 through a reduction in the power consumption of the optical zoom.

* Time under default camera settings, when normal operations are performed, such as shooting, pausing, turning the camera on and off, and zooming.(based on conditions established by Canon).
-Under some shooting conditions, the recording time may be shorter than mentioned above.
-Recording time with a fully charged battery.

2. Fixes a phenomenon with cameras running firmware version 1.0.0.0, in which the low battery level warning is prematurely displayed while shooting in movie mode.

Firmware Version 1.0.2.0 is for cameras with firmware Version 1.0.1.0 or Version 1.0.0.0. If the camera's firmware is already Version 1.0.2.0, it is not necessary to update the firmware.
Please note that, once the camera is updated to the latest version, it cannot be restored to a previous version.

How to Identify Cameras that are eligible for the Firmware Update:

Please check the serial number on the bottom of the camera.
This firmware update is for products with the following serial numbers.
-Serial number
Products whose sixth digit from the left is "2" or less
[*****2******] , [*****1******] , [*****0******]

Instructions for restoring to defaults is found on page 155:

pssx280hs-cu-en.pdf (c-wss.com)

Firmware and flashing is here:

Support | Long Zoom Cameras | PowerShot SX280 HS | Canon USA

How to do it is listed under the Driver / Software details of the firmware download.

Hope this is helpful.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Splendid, thanks! I will try your 2 steps forthwith. One reason I asked was precisely because my serial number was not among those listed for that update. Rgds, Matt

Progress report: Yes, thanks, that did it. I used a new card and formatted it first, but then I returned the old card, and everything works fine. I do not know why I did not think to reset, but we will not go into that....  Cheers! Matt

@Opticist 

...but then I returned the old card, and everything works fine. I do not know why I did not think to reset, but we will not go into that....  Cheers! Matt

Remember to reformat your old card in the camera as well. And avoid using MicroSD cards with an adapter.

I simply replaced the old card in the slot, because I like to have the latest pics in the camera for reference as to, say, exposure. Do you think that the card may have caused the problem?

Also, why not use a micro-SD card (not that I planned to do so)?

Unexpected, non-specific behavior can happen if your memory card isn't formatted in the camera. Make sure the clock and calendar are set properly too. Stranger things have happened but not very frequently.

Using MicroSD cards just introduces another set of electrical contacts between the card and the camera's terminals, another place for a possible problem. And sometimes a counterfeit SD card isn't even what it appears to be.

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/General-Camera-Discussion/SD-Card-surprise/m-p/298835#M8518

Robot tongue

Yes, the card was formatted in the camera - just not recently. I reset everything, including the time, date, and time zone. I understand about the micro-SD card; the link was very amusing. I usually get full-sized SD cards from Office Depot, not Amazon. Thanks for the advice!

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements