cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

powershot SD800 IS - how to start a new photo sequential number

rick_canon
Contributor

Hello. I have a Canon Powershot SD800 IS. Yes, oldy but very good. I am in photo number IMG_8500, and I want to start a new sequential number, including a new prefix, such as foto_0001.jpg or pic_0001.jpg. How do I do this? Thanks. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

Here's a link to the User Manual for your camera, if you don't already have a copy

https://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/8/0900001458/01/PSSD800ISIXUS850ISCUGad-EN.pdf

Starting around page 69 are instructions for changing the destination folder structure and resetting your file numbering to _0001. But it looks like this is about as sophisticated as this camera model allows.

If you really need to set up more specific folder names and file numbering you should be able to do so with software after downloading the images to your desktop or laptop. You might look into a FREE download of Irfanview as an image browser and organizer. It has several batch-processing functions including File Renaming and Numbering.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

Here's a link to the User Manual for your camera, if you don't already have a copy

https://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/8/0900001458/01/PSSD800ISIXUS850ISCUGad-EN.pdf

Starting around page 69 are instructions for changing the destination folder structure and resetting your file numbering to _0001. But it looks like this is about as sophisticated as this camera model allows.

If you really need to set up more specific folder names and file numbering you should be able to do so with software after downloading the images to your desktop or laptop. You might look into a FREE download of Irfanview as an image browser and organizer. It has several batch-processing functions including File Renaming and Numbering.

rick_canon
Contributor

Hello. Thank you for your reply, for the link to the camera manual, and for your info about the free software. I think you are right that my little camera does not allow to change the prefix in the photo sequential number. I did a quick search in Google and found out that some more advanced cameras do allow you to change the prefix of the image name with any four alpha numeric characters, including the underscore. So at least I know that. Thanks again! 

You're welcome, glad to help out.

By the way, what photo editing software are you currently using? With a bit of researching you may find that it already has the ability to perform at least some basic batch renaming and or resizing. If not, then Irfanview can do the job. Depending on your experience and skill level it may not seem very intuitive at first but it offers a lot of flexibility, opens quickly and runs smoothly.

for my photo editing I use Apple Photo App. I take very few photos and do very little editing, so that is more than enough for me. Thank you. 

Announcements